The Department of Biological Sciences (DBS) Honors Program requires students to design a challenging program of advanced study, including 8 credits of honors coursework in biology and at least two semesters of research or teaching scholarship. Participants are required to present their scholarly work at a local, regional, or national meeting. A written honors thesis is also required. Invitations to join the DBS Honors Program are sent in the first 3 weeks of the Fall and Spring semesters, based on GPA and number of credit hours completed at NC State, as described in the Admissions Requirements.
BSC 497 and BSC 498 (6cr)
- two semesters of mentored research or teaching scholarship in biology
- includes written project proposal (497), and a draft of the honors thesis (498)
- includes completion of reflection prompts posted on Moodle
- enrollment requires a completed contract with the mentor, approved by the DBS Honors Program Committee
BSC 499 (1 cr)
- requires oral presentation of work completed in BSC 497 & 498
- requires final written honors thesis on the work completed in BSC 497 & 498
- the honors thesis will be submitted mid-way through the semester for evaluation and to allow time for revisions
- the honors thesis must be approved by the mentor and by the DBS Honors Program Committee
Honors Coursework (8 cr)
- courses must be completed with a B- or higher
- courses must be numbered 300 or higher
- courses must focus on a topic in biology
- eligible courses include (1) any course designated as an honors course by the DBS Honors Program Committee, (2) any course for which an honors contract is approved by the DBS Honors Program Committee, and (3) any Study Abroad course approved by the DBS Honors Program Committee.
Students in any major offered by the Department of Biological Sciences who have earned an overall GPA of 3.60 after completing 30 (but fewer than 65) credit hours at NC State will receive an invitation to join the DBS Honors Program.
Transfer Students in any major offered by the Department of Biological Sciences who have earned an overall GPA of 3.60 after completing 15 credit hours at NC State (and a total of 30 credit hours of college coursework), will receive an invitation to join the DBS Honors Program.
- complete the Program Requirements described above
- maintain an overall GPA of 3.40 or higher
- complete the graduation requirements for an undergraduate degree program offered by the Department of Biological Sciences
Dr. Betty Gardner
2727 Bostian Hall