In keeping with the University’s mission to provide an international curriculum, the World Literature minor offers N.C. State students an opportunity to broaden their perspectives on foreign cultures through the study of literature outside of the Anglo-American tradition. Students will also develop critical, analytical, and linguistic skills essential in today’s job market. The minor offers choices from a range of courses in literature, in translation or in the original language, from Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. World Literature courses are cross-listed in the Department of English and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
- This minor is open to NC State students, exceptEnglish majors in the Language, Writing and Rhetoric Concentration (16ENGLBA 16ENGLLWR).
- Proficiency in foreign language at the FL 202, LAT 202, GRK 202 or above.
- Completion of 15 credit hours.
- Students may transfer in no more than six (6) hours of courses toward the minor.
- Must have an overall 2.0 GPA in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-‘.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Required Courses (3 credit hours)
- ENG/FL 221 Literature of the Western World I OR ENG/FL 222 Literature of the Western World II
Elective Courses (12 credit hours)
Group 1: Choose 1 course
- ENG (FL) 221 Literature of the Western World I
- ENG (FL) 222 Literature of the Western World II
- ENG (FL) 223 Contemporary World Literature I
- ENG (FL) 224 Contemporary World Literature II
Group 2: Choose 2 courses in
- ENG (FL) 394 Special Topics in World Literature or 1 course in ENG 496 Seminar in Literary Criticism
Group 3: Choose 1 course
- Any 300- or 400-level literature course outside of your major. See advisor about meeting this requirement.
Admissions and Certification
Students interested in declaring a minor in Technical and Scientific Communication should contact the minor coordinator listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
ContactDr. Meredith Fosque
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 16WLM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION