World Literature (16WLM)
In keeping with the University’s mission to provide an international curriculum, the World Literature minor offers N.C. State students, except for Language and Literature (LAN) and World Literature Concentration (LIT) English majors, an opportunity to broaden their perspectives on foreign cultures through the study of literature outside of the Anglo-American tradition. Students will also develop critical, analytical, and linguistic skills essential in today’s job market. The minor offers choices from a range of courses in literature, in translation or in the original language, from Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America. World Literature courses are cross-listed in the Department of English and the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
- This minor is open to NC State students, except LAN and LIT English majors.
- Proficiency in foreign language at the FL 202, LAT 202, GRK 202 or above.
- Completion of 15 credit hours.
- Students may transfer in no more than 6 hours of courses toward the minor.
- Must have an overall 2.0 GPA in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-‘.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Required Courses (3 credit hours)
- ENG/FL 221 Literature of the Western World I OR ENG/FL 222 Literature of the Western World II
Elective Courses (12 credit hours)
Group 1: Choose 1 course
- ENG (FL) 221 Literature of the Western World I
- ENG (FL) 222 Literature of the Western World II
- ENG (FL) 223 Contemporary World Literature I
- ENG (FL) 224 Contemporary World Literature II
Group 2: Choose 2 courses in
- ENG (FL) 394 Special Topics in World Literature or 1 course in ENG 496 Seminar in Literary Criticism
Group 3: Choose 1 course
- Any 300- or 400-level literature course outside of your major
- ENG (FL) 539 Seminar In World Literature with permission of the instructor
This minor is open to NC State students, except LAN and LIT English majors. In both instances, students should contact one of the advisors listed below. Students first download a Departmental Minor Declaration Form and consult with their major advisor for approval of the minor program. After the student obtains the major advisor’s signature, he/she meets with the minor advisor to develop a plan of study indicating required courses and expected dates of completion. A copy of the student’s minor plan of study will be kept on file in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
A University Minor Declaration Form should be submitted to Registration and Records for inclusion of the minor on the student’s official record. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288, http://www4.ncsu.edu/~navey/, 321 Withers), to complete the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Contact PersonsDr. Larysa Mykyta
firstname.lastname@example.orgDr. Maria Rouphail
email@example.com Effective: 8/2003
SIS Code: 16WLM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION