Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Minor offers all students in the university the possibility of rigorous interdisciplinary study of women’s, gender and sexuality issues. Course offerings across the campus give students the opportunity to understand the complex relationships between gender, class, ethnic, and race structures; to understand feminist theory and methodological perspectives and their substantial contributions to social and public policy analysis; to develop the ability to reach out to community and non-profit organizations concerned with social equality; and to develop international understandings and perspectives.
Students must complete fifteen (15) credit hours with a grade of C or better, including three (3) required courses and two (2) elective courses.
Please note: Students may only double count one course towards both their major and the WGS minor.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- WGS 200 Introduction to Women’s and Gender Studies
- WGS 300 Introduction to Feminist Theories or WGS 380 Black Feminist
- WGS 492 Theoretical Issues in Women’s and Gender Studies
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
- ANT/WGS 444 Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Women
- COM/WGS 362 Communication and Gender
- ENG/WGS 305 Women and Literature
- ENG/WGS 308 Contemporary Issues in Ecofeminism
- ENG/WGS 327 Language and Gender
- HI/WGS 423 Women in European Enlightenment
- HI/WGS 447 American Women to 1900
- HI/WGS 448 American Women in the 20th Century
- STS/WGS 210 Women and Gender in Science and Technology
- WGS 220 Men and Masculinity
- WGS 310 Internship in Women’s and Gender Studies
- WGS 330 Women and Health
- WGS 350 Emerging Issues in Women’s and Gender Studies
- WGS/AFS 380 Black Feminist Theory
- MUS/WGS 360 Women and Music
- PS/WGS 418 Gender, Law, and Policy
- PSY/WGS 406 Psychology of Gender
- SOC/WGS 204 Sociology of the Family
- SOC/WGS 304 Women and Men in Society
- SOC/WGS 407 Sociology of Sexualities
- WGS/REL 473/573 Religion, Gender, and Reproductive Technologies
- WGS 493 Topics in Women’s and Gender Studies
*Special topics in a variety of disciplines may be taken with the approval of the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies Curriculum Committee.
Also note that each semester, a number of courses that are not listed here as WGS courses can be taken for WGS credit. To confirm that a course can be taken for WGS credit, please contact the program coordinator, Dr. Elizabeth Atwood Nelson at email@example.com.
Admissions and Certification of Minor
To complete a WGS minor is a simple process but it’s a good idea to get the paperwork in progress. Download the “Declare a Minor” form available here in PDF format. The form must be signed by the Director of WGS and by the CHASS Dean’s Office. It is then forwarded to the student’s home department.
Dr. Elizabeth Atwood Nelson (she/her)
Department of Communication
Teaching Associate Professor; Comm 110 Director; Interim WGS Coordinator
Winston Hall 107
SIS Code: 16WGM