University Theatre offers an academic minor in theatre to all NC State undergraduate degree-seeking students. The minor includes a combination of courses that explore theatre in historical, theoretical, and practical contexts, while preserving an emphasis on application. There are opportunities for advanced study in performance, production, and design. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- Minimum of 15 credit hours is required to complete the minor, with 9 hours taken in required courses and 6 in elective courses.
- Only grades of ‘C-‘ and above will count toward the minor.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- THE 103 Introduction to Theatre
- THE 203 Theory and Practice of Acting
- THE 223 Stagecraft
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Choose at least two (2) of the following courses:
- THE 233 Introduction to Stage Lighting
- THE 234 Makeup Design for the Stage
- THE 236 Text to Stage
- THE 303 Stage Directing
- THE 323 Introduction to Scenic Design
- THE 333 Costume Design and Technology
- THE 334 Advanced Acting
- THE/AFS 340 African American Theatre
- THE 363 Audition/Interpretation Techniques
- THE 398 Special Topics in Theatre
- THE 403 Touring Theatre
- THE 433 Period Styles in Acting
Admissions and Certification of Minor
In both instances, students should contact Mia Self, 201 Thompson Hall, 515-3147. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. The student should complete a Declare a Minor form in consulation with the coordinator of the minor and submit to Registration and Records to have the minor added to their plan of study.
Coordinator of the Minor
201 Thompson Hall
email@example.com SIS Code: 24THM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION