A minor in Technical and Scientific Communication is available from the English Department for N.C. State students, except English majors in the Language, Writing and Rhetoric Concentration (16ENGLBA 16ENGLLWR), who are interested in supplementing their studies in technical, scientific, or other academic fields with strong writing and communication skills. Students minoring in Technical and Scientific Communication will be introduced to numerous genres including internal and external documents such as proposals, reports, science writing, users guides, reference manuals, and online documentation. Critical perspectives towards the role of communication in the creation of scientific and technical knowledge will be examined. The minor may lead to career opportunities in technical and scientific writing and communication. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- A total of 15 hours of course work is required for the minor.
- Students may transfer no more than 6 hours of courses toward the minor.
- Must have an overall 2.0 GPA in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-‘.
- Nine (9) hours are required, while six (6) are elective within two (2) specific course listings
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- ENG 214 Introduction to Editing (3cr)
- ENG 314 Technical Document Design and Editing (3cr)
- ENG 421 Computer Documentation Design (3cr)
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Elective I – Students must choose one course from the following:
- ENG 331 Communication for Engineering and Technology (3cr)
- ENG 332 Communication for Business and Management (3cr)
- ENG 333 Communication for Science and Research (3cr)
Elective II – Students must choose one course from the following:
- ENG 350 Internship in Writing and Editing (3cr)
- ENG 425 Analysis of Scientific and Technical Writing (3cr)
Admissions and Certification
Students interested in declaring a minor in Technical and Scientific Communication should contact the minor coordinator listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
Contact PersonHuiling Ding
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 16TSM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION