The objective of a minor in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) is to enable students to acquire a deeper understanding of English as an international language and formal training in teaching English as a foreign language in various cultural and/or educational contexts.
• Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
• 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State and a maximum of six (6) credit hours may be
transferred into the minor from another institution.
• The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures will determine which courses
transferred from other institutions may qualify in meeting requirements for the minor, as well as the number of transfer credits permitted to meet program requirements.
• It is required that students complete at least three (3) courses either at NC State or at an NC State sponsored study-abroad program.
• A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in all courses in the minor program.
• A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
• No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- FL 424: Linguistics for ESL Professionals (3 credits) -Offered in Fall or Spring, DE only.
- FL 436: Perspectives on English as a New Language (3 credits) – Offered in Fall or Spring; DE only.
- FL 427: Methods and Materials in Teaching English as a Second Language (3 credits) – Offered in Fall or Spring; Face to Face.
- FL 440, Section 2: Internship In Teaching English as a Second Language (3 credits) -Offered in Fall, Spring, Summer. Prerequisite of FL 424, FL 436, and FL 427.
Elective Courses (3 credit hours)
Select one of the following
- ENG 325 Spoken and Written Traditions of American English Dialects
- ENG 326 History of the English Language
- ENG 327 Language and Gender
- ENG 328 Language and Writing
- ENG 329 Language and Globalization
Contact PersonJillian S. Haeseler
325 Withers Hall
Effective Date: 1/2019 SIS code: 16TEFLM
PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION