Sustainable Materials and Technology (15SMTM)
The Department of Forest Biomaterials (FB) offers a minor in Sustainable Materials and Technology (SMT) to all undergraduates enrolled in the University as degree candidates except those in FB. The minor will provide students with a basic understanding of sustainability as applied to materials (e.g., wood, agricultural products, etc.) and the manufacturing processes that are used to convert them into a multitude of different products.
- A minimum of 15 hours is required for completion of the minor, and the minor should be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his/her degree program.
- 3 courses are required as indicated below, other courses are elective.
- An overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor coursework must be achieved.
Required Courses (8 semester hours)
- SMT 201 Sustainable Materials for Green Housing (2 hrs)
- SMT 310 Introduction to Industrial Ecology (3 hrs)
- PSE/WPS 476 Environmental Life Cycle Analysis (3 hrs)
Elective Courses (a minimum of 7 semester hours is required)
- SMT 231 Sustainable Manufacturing (2hrs)
- SMT 230 Sustainable Materials and Global Trade (2 hrs) OR NR 350 International Sustainable Resources Use (4 hrs)
- SMT 232 Recycling to Create a Sustainable Environment (2 hrs)
- ET 203 Pollution Prevention (1 hr)
- ET 303 Laboratory Safety Systems and Management (1 hr)
- ET 402 Solar Photovoltaic Energy* (1 hr) (*no longer taught)
- ET 410 Toxic Substances and Society (3 hrs)
- FOR 248 Forestry History, Technology and Society (3 hrs)
- PSE 425 Bioenergy and Biomaterials Engineering (3 hrs)
- PRT 250 Management of Parks and Recreation Facilities (3 hrs)
- PRT 451 Principles of Recreation Planning and Facility Development (3 hrs)
Admission and Certification of Minor
In both instances, students should contact the minor advisor, Dr. Perry Peralta. Paperwork for certification can be found in 1022 Biltmore Hall and should be completed no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Dr. Perry Peralta
1022 Biltmore Hall
SIS Code: 15SMTM