The Department of Statistics offers a minor in statistics to majors in any field except Statistics. The business, government and scientific communities have recognized the importance of statistical reasoning to solve real world problems. This minor program will provide students with an opportunity to become competent in the use of statistical methods to summarize information and/or provide answers to policy/research questions. Students completing this program of study will also be provided with experience in the use of the computer as a statistical tool.
Part A: Introductory Statistics. Pick one of the following 3 options:
- ST 305 Statistical Methods (4 cr)
- (ST 311 OR ST 350 or ST 361 or ST 370 or ST 380) AND ST 312 Introduction to Statistics II (6cr)
- ST 371 Introduction to Probability and Distribution Theory AND ST 372 Introduction to Statistical Inference and Regression (6 cr)
Part B: Intro to Statistical Programming in SAS
- ST 307 Introduction to Statistical Programming-SAS (1 cr)
Part C: Statistics Electives Choose ST electives at the 400 level to make total of Part A, B, and C at least 16 credits.
- If students select option 1 in Part A they will typically need 4 3 credit hour courses (a total of 17 credits for the minor)
- If students select option 2 or 3 in Part A they will typically need 3 3 credit hour courses (a total of 16 credits for the minor).
Completion of one of the part A options with no grade below B-. No course grades below C may be applied to the minor.
Students are encouraged to submit the Minor Declaration form once part A has been completed.
Declaration Deadline: March 1 and October 1
* All declaration forms received after the deadline will be held until grades post for the current semester.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students should enter a certification request electronically when submitting their graduation application.
5268 SAS Hall, 919.515.1951,
Effective date: 8.2015
SIS Code: 17STM