The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a Sports Science Minor designed for students who desire a greater understanding of the physiological and biomechanical principles of exercise and fitness. The minor provides coursework in anatomy, physiology, nutrition, biomechanical principles, prevention and treatment of athletic injuries, exercise leadership, and health behavior.
The minor will require a minimum of 9 hours plus the practicum experience be taken at North Carolina State University.
- Completion of 16 – 17 credit hours
- A grade of “C-” or better required in each course.
- There are five required courses totaling 13-14 credit hours.
- The remaining elective courses (3 credit hours) consist of selections from a list of specific offerings.
- The minor will require that a minimum of 10 credit hours be taken at NC State University which includes the practicum.
- Students are required to complete HESM 280 Responding to Emergencies or HESM 281 Emergency Medical Responder, or its equivalent, prior to entering HESM 303 (Sports Science Practicum).
Required Courses (13-14) Credits
- HESM (PEF) 480 Principles of Exercise Programming (3 cr); Prerequisite: HESM (PEC) 478
- HESM (PEH) 286 Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control (2 cr) OR NTR 301 Intro to Human Nutrition (3 cr); Prerequisite: sophomore standing
- HESM (PES) 303 Sports Science Practicum (1 cr); Prerequisite: completed coursework in Sports Science Minor)
- HESM (PEC) 478 Exercise Physiology and Sports Science (3 cr)
- BIO 240 Principles of Human Anatomy & Physiology (A): Nervous, Skeletal, Muscular, and Digestive Systems
Elective Courses (3 hours)
Select course(s) from the following list:
- HESM (PEC) 211 Strength Training and Conditioning (2 cr)
- HESM (PES) 214 Methods of Group Exercise Instruction (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 285 Personal Health (2 cr)
- HESM (PEC) 381 Athletic Training (3 cr); Prerequisite: HESM (PEH 280) (2 CR), OR HESM PEH 281 (3 cr), OR CPR/First aid Certification
- BIO 245 Principles of Human Anatomy and Physiology (B): Endocrine, Cardiovascular, Respiratory and Renal Systems
- NTR 500 Principles of Human Nutrition (3 cr); Prerequisite: CH 220, CH 221, ZO 160 OR BIO 181/183
- NTR 555 Exercise Nutrition (3 cr); Prerequisite: NTR 500
- PRT 200 Leisure Behavior, Health & Wellness (3 cr)
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Any student seeking a minor must consult the contact person listed below on a plan of work and must file a copy of this plan with the major advisor as soon as the minor is declared–at latest, by the end of the regular registration period one semester prior to the semester of graduation. Plans of work filed late may result in recognition of the minor NOT appearing on the student’s final transcript.
SIS Code: 24SPSM