Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The objective of the minor in a foreign language is to enable students majoring in any field to acquire proficiency in a second language, understanding the culture, and knowledge of the countries in which the language is spoken.
- Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
- At least nine of the 15 credits must be above the 200 level.
- Nine credit hours must be taken at NC State. A maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution.
- The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify to meet requirements for the minor.
- A maximum of six credits from a non-NC State study abroad program may count towards the minor. Credits earned in NC State-sponsored study abroad programs for Spanish count as if they were earned on the NC State campus.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in all courses in the minor program and an overall GPA of 2.0 must be maintained in the minor courses.
- All courses in the minor must be taken for a letter grade. Credit-only (S/U) grade is not permitted.
- A maximum of TWO (2) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
Required Courses (9 credits)
- FLS 202 Intermediate Spanish II
- FLS 331 – Spanish Oral and Written Expression I
- FLS 332 – Spanish Oral and Written Expression II
Elective Courses – Select from the following (6 credits)
200-level courses: Intended for those who have not taken a 300-level Spanish course.
- FLS 212 Spanish Language, Technology, Culture
- FLS 295 Intermediate Special Topics in Spanish
300-level courses: Check the course catalog for course pre- or co-requisite requirement.
- FLS 333 The Sounds of Spanish
- FLS 336 Business Spanish I
- FLS 337 Spanish for Tourism in the Hispanic World
- FLS 340 Introduction to Hispanic Literatures and Cultures
- FLS 341 Literature and Culture of Spain I
- FLS 342 Literature and Culture of Spain II
- FLS 343 Literature and Culture of Spain III
- FLS 351 Literature and Culture of Latin America I
- FLS 352 Literature and Culture of Latin America II
- FLS 353 Literature and Culture of Latin America III
- FLS 360 Hispanic Cinema
- FLS 395 Study Abroad Programs in Spanish
400-level courses: Prerequisite: 12 hours of 300-level Spanish courses.
- FLS 400 Methods and Techniques in Spanish Translation and Interpretation
- FLS 402 Introduction to Spanish Linguistics
- FLS 405 Spanish-English Comparative Grammar
- FLS 411 Topics in the Culture of Spain
- FLS 412 Topics in the Culture of Latin America and the Caribbean
- FLS 413 Spain and the Americas in Transatlantic Perspective
- FLS 492 Seminar in Hispanic Studies
- FLS 495 Advanced Study Abroad Programs in Spanish
Students first download a Departmental Minor Declaration Form and consult with their major advisor for approval of the minor program. After the student obtains the major advisor’s signature, he/she meets with the minor advisor to develop a plan of study indicating required courses and expected dates of completion. A copy of the student’s minor plan of study will be kept on file in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
A University Minor Declaration Form should be submitted to Registration and Records for inclusion of the minor on the student’s official record. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288, https://fll.chass.ncsu.edu/people/faculty_staff/navey, 321 Withers), to complete the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Dr. Mark Darhower
Spanish Upper Division Coordinator
Dept. Foreign Languages and Literatures
405 Withers Hall, Campus Box 8106
Raleigh, NC 27695
SIS Code: 16SPM