Soil Science (11SSM)
The minor in Soil Science is offered to all undergraduate students at NC State University who desire a strong knowledge of the principles of Soil Science to complement their major. It is intended to strengthen the understanding of basic physical, chemical, and microbiological soil properties that would be relevant to a student’s particular land management interest. These interests may include (but are not limited to) Forestry, Geology, Natural Resources, Environmental Science, Plant and Soil Sciences, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Business Management, or Agricultural Education.
- A minimum of 17 hours is required for the minor in Soil Science. Students are required to complete 4 credits of required courses and a minimum of 13 credits of restricted elective courses.
- A minimum grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in each course selected. No courses for the minor may be taken using the S/U option.
Required Courses (4 credit hours)
- SSC 200 Soil Science (3 cr)
- SSC 201 Soil Science Lab (1 cr)
Restricted Elective Courses (minimum of 13 credit hours)
- AES 323 Water Management (3 cr)
- SSC 332 Environmental Soil Microbiology (3 cr)
- SSC 341 Soil Fertility and Fertilizers (3 cr)
- SSC 342 Soil Fertility Laboratory (1 cr)
- SSC 421 Role of Soils in Environmental Management (3 cr)
- SSC 427 Biological Approaches to Sustainable Soil Systems (3cr)
- SSC 428 Service-Learning in Urban Agriculture Systems (1cr)
- SSC 440 Geographic Information Systems
- SSC 442 Soil & Environmental Biogeochemistry (3 cr)
- SSC 452 Soil Classification (4 cr)
- SSC 455 Soils, Environmental Quality and Global Challenges (3cr)
- SSC 461 Soil Physical Properties and Plant Growth (3 cr)
- SSC 462 Soil-Crop Management Systems(3 cr)
- SSC 470 Wetland Soils (3 cr)
- SSC 495 (var cr)
Admission to the minor requires a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better. Students should contact the Crop and Soil Sciences Undergraduate Programs Office to inquire about adding the minor no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
The minor should be declared as soon as the student makes the decision to pursue a minor. Minor coursework must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork to declare the minor should be completed no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should contact the Crop and Soil Sciences Undergraduate Programs Office for certification of the minor.
Contact PersonUndergraduate Programs Office
Crop & Soil Sciences Department
2234 Williams Hall
Campus Box 7620
SIS Code: 11SSM
Effective Date: 8.2016