Soil Science (11SSM)
The minor in Soil Science is offered to students desiring a strong knowledge of the principles of Soil Science to complement their major. It is intended to strengthen the understanding of basic physical, chemical, and microbiological soil properties that would be relevant to a student’s particular land management interest. These interests may include (but are not limited to) Forestry, Geology, Natural Resources, Environmental Science, Plant and Soil Sciences, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, Agricultural Business Management, or Agricultural Education. Four (4) hours of required courses and thirteen (13) hours of restricted electives are necessary to complete the minor.
- A minimum of 17 hours is required for the minor in Soil Science.
- Students are required to complete 4 credits of required courses and 13 credits of restricted elective courses.
- Students must maintain a grade of “C-” or better in each course used toward the minor.
- SSC 200 Soil Science (3 cr)
- SSC 201 Soil Science Lab (1 cr)
Restricted Elective Courses
- AES 323 Water Management (3 cr)
- SSC 332 Environmental Soil Microbiology (3 cr)
- SSC 341 Soil Fertility and Fertilizers (3 cr)
- SSC 342 Soil Fertility Laboratory (1 cr)
- SSC 421 Role of Soils in Environmental Management (3 cr)
- SSC 427 Biological Approaches to Sustainable Soil Systems (3cr)
- SSC 428 Service-Learning in Urban Agriculture Systems (1cr)
- SSC 440 Geographic Information Systems
- SSC 442 Soil & Environmental Biogeochemistry (3 cr)
- SSC 452 Soil Classification (4 cr)
- SSC 455 Soils, Environmental Quality and Global Challenges (3cr)
- SSC 461 Soil Physical Properties and Plant Growth (3 cr)
- SSC 462 Soil-Crop Management Systems(3 cr)
- SSC 470 Wetland Soils (3 cr)
- SSC 495 (var cr)
Admission to the minor requires a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better. Students should contact the Undergraduate Programs Office to inquire about adding the minor no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State
The minor should be declared as soon as the student makes the decision to pursue a minor. Minor coursework must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork to declare the minor should be completed no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should see the Undergraduate Programs Office for certification of the minor.
Contact PersonUndergraduate Programs Office
Crop & Soil Sciences Department
2234 Williams Hall
Campus Box 7620
SIS Code: 11SSM
Effective Date: 8.2016