Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The minor in Social Work is designed to familiarize students with the social service system, major social welfare programs, and elements of the profession of social work. This is an excellent minor for students interested in combining a primary academic area (major), such as sociology, political science, or psychology with social welfare and professional social work content. It is also an excellent field of study for students majoring in any area who many need or desire knowledge of social welfare and social. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- A total of 16 hours (5 courses) is required for the minor. Four required courses (13 credit hours) and one SW Elective (3 credit hours).
- A grade of ‘C’ or better must be achieved in each class counting toward the minor and an overall GPA of 2.5 must be maintained in the minor courses.
- All courses in the minor must be taken for a letter grade. Credit only is not permitted.
- A maximum of six credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another CSWE-accredited institution. The Department of Social Work will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify to meet requirements for the minor.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- SW 201 Community Social Services
- SW 290 The Development of Social Welfare and Social Work in the US
- SW 307 Social Welfare Policy: Analysis and Advocacy
- SW 310 Human Behavior Theory for Social Work Practice
Elective Courses (select 1 from the following)
- SW 312 Multi-Cultural Social Work
- SW 412 Social Work in Schools
- SW 413 African American Families: History, Tradition and Community
- SW 414 Social Work Practice in Health Care
- SW 415 Child Welfare
- SW 416 Addiction Recovery and Social Work Practice
- SW 417 Social Work and Aging
- SW 420 The Legal Aspects of Social Work
- SW 495* Special Topics in Social Work
- SW 498** Independent Study
*Denotes special topics or new courses. Different letters designate each separate course offering (i.e., 495A, 495B). Check with the professor teaching the course or Suzy Lamb as listed below for more information.
** Individual student class topic and research designed in consultation with a faculty member. Requires departmental approval. For more information contact Suzy Lamb as listed below.
Admissions and Certification of Minor
In both instances, students can contact any of the social work faculty members listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification can be found in Room 205C in the 1911 Building and should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
1911 Building, Room 205C