Poultry Science (11POM)
Upon completion of the minor in Poultry Science curriculum, students will be able to describe the management of poultry including advanced topics such as genetics, nutrition, physiology and pathology.
- A minimum of 15 hours is required for the minor in Poultry Science
- Students are required 6 hours of required courses and 9 hours of elective courses
- Students must maintain a grade of ‘C’ or better in each course used toward the minor.
- Students may only count up to 2 hours of PO 492 toward the minor.
- Students may only count up to 2 hours of PO 493 toward the minor.
- PO 201 Poultry Science and Production (3 cr)
- PO 202 Poultry Science and Production Laboratory (1 cr)
- PO 290 Poultry Seminar (1 cr)
Elective Courses (10 credit hours minimum from the following courses)
- PO 322 Muscle Foods and Eggs (3 cr)
- PO 340 Live Poultry and Poultry Product Evaluation, Grading, and Inspection (3 cr)
- PO 350 Introduction to HACCP (3 cr)
- PO 404 Avian Anatomy and Physiology (4 cr)
- PO 406 Physiological Aspects of Poultry Management (3 cr)
- PO 407 Physiological Aspects of Poultry Management Laboratory (1 cr)
- PO 410 Production and Management of Game Birds in Confinement (3 cr)
- PO 411 Agrosecurity (3 cr)
- PO 415 Comparative Nutrition (3 cr)
- PO 421 Commercial Egg Production (2 cr)
- PO 424 Poultry Meat Production (3 cr)
- PO 425 Feed Mill Management & Formulation (3 cr)
- PO 433 Poultry Processing and Productin (3 cr)
- PO 435 Incubation and Breeding (4 cr)
- PO 492 External Learning Experience (2 cr)
- PO 493 Special Problems (2 cr)
- VMP 401 Poultry Diseases (4 cr)
- PO 524 Comparative Endocrinology (4 cr)
Admissions and Certification of Minor
In both instances, students should contact Ms. Lynn Worley-Davis, 919.515.6852, firstname.lastname@example.org. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonMs. Lynn Worley-Davis
SIS Code: 11POM