- Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State or through the UNC Language Assembly/Portuguese as World Language Consortium
- In addition to FLP 201 (3 credits), two additional Portuguese language or culture courses (6 credits) above the FLP 201 level to be listed under the FL295 rubric must be taken through the UNC Language Assembly/Portuguese as a World Language Consortium are required.
- A maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution. The minor adviser may approve more on a discretionary basis.
- The Department of Foreign Languages and Literature will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify to meet requirements for the minor.
- A grade of ‘C-’ or better is required in all courses in the minor program.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both another departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- FLP 201 Intermediate Portuguese I
- FL 295 Special Topics in Foreign Languages and/or Literatures (2 courses above the FLP 201 level through the UNC Language Assembly/Portuguese as a World Language Consortium)
Any two of the following:
- ANT 325 Andean South America
- ANT 330 Peoples and Cultures of Africa
- AFS 240 African Civilization
- AFS 342 Introduction to the African Diaspora
- AFS 343 African Religions
- FOR 414 World Forestry
- GEO 259 Geography of Latin America
- HI 215 Latin America to 1826
- HI 216 Latin America Since 1826
- HI 276 Introduction to the History of West Africa
- HI 453 United States-Latin American Relations
- HI 469 Latin American Revolutions in the Twentieth Century
- PS 231 Introduction to International Relations
- PS 443 Seminar in Latin American and Caribbean Politics
Students first download a Minor Declaration Form and consult with their major advisor for approval of the minor program. After the student obtains the major advisor’s signature, he/she meets with the minor advisor to develop a plan of study indicating required courses and expected dates of completion. A copy of the student’s minor plan of study will be kept on file in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288; https://fll.chass.ncsu.edu/people/faculty_staff/navey) to complete with the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Dr. Irwin Stern
Teaching Associate Professor
Withers Hall 223, Campus Box 8106
SIS Code: 16PORTM