The minor in Political Science is open to all students. It will prepare them to be well-informed and politically active citizens as well as prepare them for graduate study in political science, public administration or law. Students will learn how laws are created and enforced, the diversity of political cultures, the problems of the world community, and more. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- Completion of 15 hours of political science courses.
- A grade of “C” or better in each course.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Choose 3 political science courses at the 300-level of higher.
Choose 1 seminar course (3 hours) which must be a 400-500 level course listed with an “S” after the course number, or any 498 or 598 course with the word “seminar” in its title, or other course designated as a seminar for a given semester.
(3 hours minimum)
Choose a minimum of 1 course (3 hours) selected from two of the following three pairs of sub-fields:
- Pair A: American politics/policy & administration
- Pair B. International affairs/comparative politics
- Pair C: Political theory/social scientific methods
(courses in Pair A have a middle digit of 0 or 1; courses in Pair B a middle digit of 3 or 4; and courses in Pair C a middle digit of 6 or 7)
Students may declare their intention to complete the Political Science minor by consulting with Susan Lawhead as listed below.
Susan Lawhead will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonSusan Lawhead
SIS Code: 16OSM