The Department of Plant Biology offers a Minor in Plant Biology to all baccalaureate students at North Carolina State University in any major except Plant Biology. As the fundamental discipline of the plant sciences, plant biology involves the study of the structure, function, classification, diversity, and interactions of plants. The program also provides a strong background for research in all areas of the plant sciences and plant molecular biology.
- Completion of a minimum of 15 semester hours.
- Courses counting toward the minor must be taken for a letter grade unless noted otherwise.
- A grade of ‘C’ or above in each course for it to be included in the minor.
- Transfer credit will only be allowed for the PB 200/PB 250 requirement.
Required Course (4 credit hours)
- PB 200 Plant Life (4 cr) OR PB 250 Plant Biology (4 cr)
Elective Courses (11 credit hours)
- PB 213 Plants and Civilization (3 cr)
- PB 215 Medicinal Plants (3 cr)
- PB 219 Plants in Folklore, Myth, & Religion (4 cr)
- PB 220 Local Flora (3 cr)
- PB 321 Intro. to Whole Plant Physiology (3 cr)
- PB/BIO 360 Intro. To Ecology (3 cr)
- PB 400 Plant Diversity – 4 credit hours
- PB 403 Systematic Botany (4 cr)
- PB 413 Intro. Plant Anatomy (2 cr)
- PB 414 Cell Biology (3 cr)
- PB 421 Plants Physiology (3 cr)
- PB 445 Paleobotany (4 cr)
- PB 464 Rare Plants of North Carolina (3 cr)
- PB 480 Intro to Plant Biotechnology (3 cr)
One Special Topics course in Botany may also be used (Maximum of 4 credit hrs.) One graduate course in botany may be used if different subject that undergraduate courses above. These courses may be taken for credit only, but are the only courses in the minor that have this grading option.
Students may declare their intention to complete the Plant Biology minor by consulting with Dr. Jordan.
Dr. Jordan will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. An electronic application to graduate with the minor should be made in MyPack Portal no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonChad V. Jordan
2214-A Gardner Hall
SIS Code: 11PBM