Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The Minor in Philosophy is designed to expose students to three fundamental areas of philosophy: history of philosophy, normative philosophy and contemporary discussion of issues in metaphysics and epistemology. It is a highly desirable minor because it reveals to employers, graduate schools, and professional schools a willingness to engage in theoretical reasoning.
Students can shape their minor in ways that complement their major fields of study. For example, science and engineering majors might include philosophy of science courses (PHI 340 and PHI 440) among their minor courses. Management students might include PHI 214 Business Ethics and PHI 450 Software and the Ethics of Ownership. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- The minor consists of 15 hours of credit (5 courses) including 9 hours of required courses and 6 hours of elective courses.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better will be required for all courses taken to fulfill the minor requirements.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
The department will determine whether courses which have been transferred from other institutions qualify for the minor. No more than two courses from other institutions may count toward the minor. Three of the courses taken at NC State University must be at the 300-level or higher.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
Nine (9) credit hours must be taken as follows:
Three (3) credit hours must be from the history of philosophy courses (select one):
- PHI 300 Ancient Philosophy
- PHI 301 Early Modern Philosophy
- PHI 302 19th Century Philosophy
- PHI 303 Continental Philosophy after 1900
- PHI 401 Kant’s Critique of Pure Reason
Three (3) credit hours in normative (ethics and ethics-related) philosophy (select one):
- PHI 214 Issues in Business Ethics
- PHI 221 Contemporary Moral Issues
- PHI 309 Contemporary Political Philosophy
- PHI 312 Philosophy of Law
- PHI 313 Ethical Problems in the Law
- PHI 319 Africana Political Philosophy
- PHI 325 Bio-Medical Ethics
- PHI 375 Ethics
- PHI 376 History of Ethics
- PHI 420 Global Justice
- PHI 422 Philosophical Issues in Environmental Ethics
- PHI 475 Ethical Theory
Three (3) credit hours in another course other than one in the above categories (history of philosophy, normative philosophy) and excluding logic courses.
PHI 205 and PHI 210 may not both be used toward the Minor.
- Six (6) hours of PHI courses or LOG courses at the 200-level and above.
Admissions and Certification of Minor
In both instances, students should contact the person listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
Contact PersonsDr. John Carroll, Minor Advisor
Withers Hall 457
SIS Code: 16PHM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION