The academic minor in Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Management is offered to students interested in gaining a basic knowledge of recreation, tourism and park services and an understanding of the benefits of leisure and recreation in our society. To complete the minor, students must take six hours of required courses and nine hours of electives. These courses provide undergraduates with the opportunity to explore recreation, parks, and leisure services as a potential for graduate work.
- A minimum of 15 hours (5 courses) are required to complete the minor in Park, Recreation and Tourism Management.
- Students must take 6 hours of required courses and 9 hours of electives.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in all courses to be used toward the minor.
- No more than six (6) hours of transfer credits can be used toward the minor. The Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management Director of Undergraduate Programs must approve all transfer credits.
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
- PRT 152 Introduction to Parks, Recreation and Tourism
- PRT 358 The Recreation Program (Preq. PRT 152)
Elective Courses (9 credit hours)
- PRT 200 Leisure Behavior, Health and Wellness
- PRT 220 Commercial Recreation and Tourism Management (Preq. PRT 152)
- PRT 238 Diversity and Inclusion in Recreation and Sport (Preq. PRT 152)
- PRT 250 Managing Park and Recreation Facilities (Preq. PRT 152)
- PRT 266 Introduction to Sport Management
- PRT 315 Organization and Administration of Adventure Programs
- PRT 350 Outdoor Recreation Management (Preq. PRT 152)
- PRT 407 Services, Facilities, and Event Marketing
- PRT 420 Destination Planning and Management (Preq. PRT 152)
- PRT 442 Recreation and Park Interpretive Services ( Preq.junior standing)
- PRT 451 Principles of Recreation Planning and Facility Development(Preq. PRT 358)
- PRT 458 Special Events Planning (Prereq. PRT 358)
- GIS 280 Introduction to Geographic Information Systems
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Admission to the Minor is competitive and applicants will be considered based on their overall academic performance. To be eligible for consideration, a student must have successfully completed at least 15 hours of coursework at NC State. Meeting the eligibility requirements does not guarantee admission to the Minor in PRTM. Students are encouraged to begin the PRTM Minor prior to their senior year. Seat availability cannot be guaranteed in Minor classes if a student only has two semesters in which to complete the Minor.
Sport Management and Professional Golf Management majors may not complete the Minor in Parks, Recreation and Tourism Management.
Application Deadlines: Interested students should submit a completed Declare a Minor Form to the Contact Person listed below by one of the following deadlines: September 20, January 20, and June 1. (If the application date falls on a weekend, the application is due Monday following the deadline.) The form is located on Registration and Records Website under Forms.
Students will be notified one month after the application deadline regarding the status of their application. Once accepted into the PRTM Minor, students will be able to sign up for Minor courses. A limited number of minor seats will be reserved in the PRT courses on the minor list.
Students must earn at least a 2.0 GPA in their PRTM Minor coursework to be certified for a minor. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students will apply online for the minor during their final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonDr. Kim Bush
4012F Biltmore Hall
SIS Code: 15PRM