Outdoor Leadership (24OLM)
The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a minimum of 16-hour minor in Outdoor Leadership. It is designed for undergraduate students wishing to enhance their personal development and enjoyment of adventure-based programs and desiring to pursue careers as outdoor leaders. Students will develop a foundation of essential leadership skills and experience through course work focusing on outdoor skills and leadership training. Students will also have an opportunity to apply theory to practice through a practicum.
The minor will require a minimum of 9 hours plus the practicum experience taken at North Carolina State University.
- Complete a minimum of 16 hours of coursework in the following areas.
- A grade of “C-” or better required in each course.
- A minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor.
- There are 5 required courses, totaling 11 semester hours.
- The remaining credit hours consist of 5 elective courses selected from a list of outdoor specific offerings.
- A student enrolled in the Outdoor Leadership minor can expect to incur program costs up to $500.00 or more. Costs will vary and are dependent on the courses(s) in which students are enrolled. Program costs help defray program expenses including guides, transportation, food, campground fees, and specialized equipment rental when required.
- A maximum of TWO (2) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (11 credit hours)
- HESM (PEO)/PRT 214 Introduction to Adventure Education (3 cr)
- HESM (PEO)/PRT 215 Principles and Practices of Outdoor Leadership (3 cr)
- HESM (PEO) 216 Backcountry Instruction Methodology (2 cr)
- HESM (PEO) 280 Responding to Emergencies (2 cr)
- HESM (PEO) 302 Practicum Experience in Outdoor Programs (1 cr) Prerequisites: HESM (PEO) 214, 215, 216 and HESM (PEO) 280 or equivalent, must have permission of the instructor
Elective Courses (at least 5 credit hours)
Select 5 courses from the following list:
- HESA (PE) 223 Lifeguard Training (1 cr)
- HESA (PE) 226 SCUBA (2 hours)
- HESA (PE) 227 Advanced SCUBA (2 cr)
- HESO (PE) 253 Orienteering (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 255 Basic Canoeing (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 257 Backpacking (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 258 Basic Rock Climbing (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 259 Intermediate Rock Climbing (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 262 Whitewater Canoeing (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 263 Whitewater Kayaking (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 276 Whitewater Rafting (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 277 Mountain Biking (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 283 Mountaineering (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 284 Sea Kayaking (1 cr)
- HESO (PE) 278 Fly Fishing (1 cr)
- *HESO (PE) 281 Introduction to Challenge Course Programming
*NOTE: The Challenge Course Programming course cannot be applied towards the university physical education requirement.
Any student seeking this minor must consult with one of the contact persons listed below to discuss a plan of work for the minor. The Application for Minor must be submitted to the student’s major advisor as soon as possible AND to the college no later than the end of the registration prior to the last semester before graduation. Plans of work filed late may result in recognition of the minor NOT appearing on student’s final transcript.
The contact persons listed below will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonTerry Dash
2009C Carmichael Gymnasium
email@example.com Effective Date: 7/2012 SIS Code: 24OLM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION