Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The Minor in Nutrition will provide knowledge of the principles of nutrition that are needed to formulate balanced diets and to evaluate information and policies concerning foods and dietary practices. Students may select courses to emphasize human or animal nutrition or a combination of these.
The objectives for students pursuing the Nutrition Minor are to:
- acquire an understanding of the functions of the nutrients in the health of humans and/or animals,
- to learn to formulate nutritionally balanced diets for humans and/or animals, and
- to learn to apply nutritional principles in the evaluation of information and policies concerning foods and dietary practices.
Must complete a minimum of 15 credit hours from the list provided below and a grade of ‘C-‘ or better in each course.
- NTR 301 Introduction to Human Nutrition (3 credit hrs) OR ANS 230 Animal Nutrition (3 credit hrs) OR ANS 225 Principles of Animal Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
Students must choose at least 12 credits from the following, with at least 6 credits at the 400 level or above: Note in final version the grouping is changed to better guide students in course selection.
- IDS 211 Eating Through American History (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 210 Introduction to Community Food Security (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 220 Food and Culture
- NTR 301 Introduction to Human Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 320 Nutrition Education (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 330 Public Health Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 410 Maternal and Infant Nutrition
- NTR 401 Advanced Human Nutrition and Metabolism (3 credit hrs)
- NTR (ANS, PO) 415 Comparative Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 420 Applied Nutrition Education (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 419 Human Nutrition and Chronic Disease (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 420/520 Community Nutrition (3 credits hrs)
- NTR 421/521 Life Cycle Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- NTR 492 External Learning Experience (1-3 credit hrs)*
- NTR 493 Special Problems in Nutrition (1-3 credit hrs)*
- NTR/ANS 454 Lactation, Milk and Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- NTR/FS 555 Exercise Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- ANS 225 Principles of Animal Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- OR – ANS 230 Nutrition of Domestic Animals (3 credit hrs)
- ANS 231 Nutrition of Domestic Animals Lab (1 credit hr)
- ANS (NTR) 550 Applied Ruminant Nutrition (3 credit hrs)
- PO (ANS) 425 Feed Mill Management and Feed Formulation (3 credit hrs)
* Not more than a total of 3 hours from NTR 492 and NTR 493 may count toward the 12 hours of Nutrition elective courses.
Students who plan to minor in Nutrition should contact Dr. Natalie Cooke, 218A Schaub Hall.
Dr. Cooke will certify the completion of the student’s minor program. Certification must be submitted no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
SIS Code: 11NTM