Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The minor in Nuclear Engineering is intended to allow engineering students to develop an understanding of the fundamental concepts and practices of nuclear engineering. It is designed to provide students with the essentials necessary for employment in nuclear- related fields. Students considering advanced study should also benefit from the minor in nuclear engineering.
- Complete a minimum of 15 credit hours of NE designated courses.
- All courses must be completed with a grade of ‘C-‘ or higher.
- NE 201 Introduction to Nuclear Engineering (2cr)
- NE 202 Radiation Sources, Interaction and Detection (4cr)
- NE 301 Fundamentals of Nuclear Engineering (3cr)
- NE 400 Nuclear Reactor Energy Conversion 2 (4cr)
- NE 401 Rector Analysis and Design (3cr)
- NE 402 Reactor Engineering (4cr)
- NE 404/504 Radiation Safety and Shielding (3cr)
- NE 409/509 Nuclear Materials (4cr)
- NE 412/512 Nuclear Fuel Cycles (3cr)
- NE 528 Introduction to Plasma Physics and Fusion Energy (3cr)
1 At the Director’s discretion, he can substitute a course for one of the electives listed.
2 Mechanical Engineering majors may present MAE 310 as the NE 400 prerequisite for NE 402. The other prerequisite NE 401 is still needed.
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Students are to contact Dr. J. Michael Doster, Director of Undergraduate Programs (2107 Burlington Engineering Laboratories, 911.515.3658, firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss their plan of study. Dr. Doster will also certify completion of the student’s minor program. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonJ. Michael Doster
2107 Burlington Engineering Laboratories
email@example.com SIS Code: 14NEM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION