Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The minor in Native American Studies offered by the Division of Interdisciplinary Studies within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences will be open to all students at North Carolina State University who share an interest in studying the experiences of Native Americans in the Americas. This minor provides a cross-disciplinary course of study for students from diverse backgrounds and from different curricula to explore Native American cultures and histories.
- Completion of 15 hours of coursework.
- Students must earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better for all courses taken to fulfill the minor.
- No course in the minor can be taken for pass-fail (S/U) credit.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- ANT 310 Native Peoples and Cultures of North America
- ENG 249 Native American Literature
- HI 366 Native American History
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
- ANT 325 Andean South America
- HI 365 The American West
- HI 445 Early American Frontier
Students may declare their intention to complete the Native American Studies minor. Should students wish to transfer courses from other institutions toward the minor, students should consult with Dr. Judy Kertesz, advisor for the minor.
To be certified as having completed the minor in Native American Studies, students must have a minimum 2.0 grade point average across all courses used toward the minor. The minor will be certified prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonDr. Judy Kertesz
369 Withers Hall
Campus Box 8108
Effective Date: 11/2011