The Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences offers a minor in Meteorology to majors in any field except meteorology. This program provides a means of recognition for students in related fields, especially Science and Engineering, who are interested in application of physical principles to the atmospheric environment.
- Grades of ‘C’ or better in MA 141 and in PY 205 prior to admission to the minor.
- Successful completion of the program requires a ‘C’ or better in at least 15 credit hours to be taken as follows:
Required Courses (11 credit hours)
- MEA 215 Introduction to Atmospheric Sciences (4 cr)
- MEA 312 Atmospheric Thermodynamics (4 cr)
- MEA 421 Atmospheric Dynamics I (3 cr)
Elective Courses (4 credit hours)
- A minimum of 4 credit hours must be taken from among MEA courses in Atmospheric Sciences at the 300-level or higher.
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Students who plan to minor in Meteorlogy should contact the person listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonDr. Matt Parker
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
5149 Jordan Hall
SIS Code: 17MYM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION