The Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences offers a Minor in Marine Science to majors in any field except marine science or natural resources with a concentration in marine and coastal resources. The minor provides a means of recognition for students who desire a deeper understanding of the world’s ocean.
Requirements for Admission and Completion of the Minor
- Students must have completed MEA 200 Introduction to Oceanography with a letter grade of C or better and have a GPA of 2.5 or above to be admitted into the minor.
- For completion, students must complete MEA 200 Introduction to Oceanography (3 credits), MEA 210 Oceanography Lab (1 credit) and MEA 250 introduction to Coastal Environments (3 credits) and at least 9 additional credit hours from the list of minor elective courses. All course work must be letter-graded and completed with a C or better.
Required Courses (7 credit hours)
- MEA 200 Introduction to Oceanography
- MEA 210 – Oceanography Lab
- MEA 250 Introduction to Coastal Environments (pre-requisite MEA 200 & 210)
Minor Elective Courses (9 credit hours)
- MEA 220 – Marine Biology (pre-requisite MEA 200 or BIO 181)
- MEA 251 – Introduction to Coastal Environments Laboratory (pre-requisite MEA 200 & MEA 210)
- MEA 323 – Earth System Chemistry (pre-requisite CH 201 & any MEA course)
- MEA 411 – Marine Sediment Transport (pre-requisite MA 241 + PY 205)
- MEA 449 – Principles of Biological Oceanography
- MEA 454 – Marine Physical-Biological Interactions (pre-requisite MEA 460 & MEA 449)
- MEA 459 – Field Investigation of Coastal Processes (pre-requisite MEA 250)
- MEA 460 – Principles of Physical Oceanography (pre-requisite MA 231 + PY 212)
- MEA 462 – Observational Methods and Data Analysis in Marine Physics (pre-requisite MEA 460)
- MEA 463 – Fluid Physics (pre-requisite MA 341 & PY 208)
- MEA 464 – Ocean Circulation Systems (pre-requisi te MEA 460)
- MEA 467 – Marine Meteorology (pre-requisite MEA 460)
- MEA 469 – Ecology of Coastal Resources (pre-requisite MEA 220 or MEA 449)
- MEA 470 – Introduction to Geophysics (pre-requisite PY 212)
- MEA 471 – Exploration and Engineering Geophysics (pre-requisite PY 211)
- MEA 473 – Principles of Chemical Oceanography (pre-requisite CH 201)
- MEA 476 – Worldwide River and Delta Systems: Their Evolution and Human Impacts (pre-requisite senior standing)
- MEA 493 – Special Topics in MEAS*
- MEA 570 – Geological Oceanography
*Enrollment in special topics courses should be approved by the minor coordinator in advance to ensure they are appropriate and relevant to the minor.
Students must have completed MEA 200 Introduction to Oceanography with a letter grade of C or better and have a GPA of 2.5 or above to be admitted into the minor. To officially enroll in the Minor program, students should see Dr. Carrie Thomas, 4136 Jordan Hall, 919.515.7839,
Room 4136 Jordan Hall
SIS Code: 17MRM