The Minor in Landscape Architecture will provide a basic understanding of the nature of the profession of Landscape Architecture. Knowledge of Landscape Architecture history and theory provides a useful addition to a major in any of the University disciplines.
The Minor in Landscape Architecture is designed to:
- Provide a general background in the discipline with regard to landscape architecture research, development and design for students, whose primary professional practice will be in another discipline.
- Clarify the role of the profession of Landscape Architecture.
- Define how the profession of Landscape Architecture and all related professional disciplines contribute to the successful practice of design.
- Completion of 15 credit hours are required.
- A letter grade of ‘C’ or better will be required for credit in all courses in the minor program.
Elective Courses – 15 credit hours
To be determined in consultation with the minor coordinator
The courses listed below are some of the courses that can contribute to achievement of the Landscape Architecture Minor. Courses offered each semester are subject to change. A listing of courses for each semester will be sent to students registered for the minor prior to open enrollment.
Fall Semester LAR courses
(note: some courses may not be offered every fall)
- LAR 444 Landscape History (3 cr)
- LAR 520 Environment and Culture (3 cr)
- LAR 528 Landscape Architecture Construction Materials and Methods (3 cr)
- LAR 534 Landscape Architecture Theory and Criticism (3 cr)
- LAR 582 008 Survey of Natural Hazards and Disasters (3 cr)
- LAR 517 GIS Applications in Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning (3 cr)
- LAR 514 LAR Digital Media II (3 cr)
- LAR 501 LAR Intro Design Studio (6 cr)
Spring Semester LAR courses
(note: some courses may not be offered every spring)
- LAR 540 Research Methods in Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning (3 cr)
- LAR 543 Landscape Performance and Metrics (3 cr)
- LAR 545 City Planning and Design – Building Great Communities (3 cr)
- LAR 546 The Landscape Imperative (3 cr)
- LAR 550 Landscape Architecture Professional Practice (3 cr)
- LAR 582 001 History of Landscape Architecture (3 cr)
- LAR 582 002 Disaster Resilient Policy, Engineering and Design (3 cr)
- LAR 582 003 Environmental and Social Equity in Design (3 cr)
- LAR 582 005 Natural Hazards, Disasters and Climate Change Adaption Lecture Series (3 cr)
- LAR 502 Site Design and Environmental Planning Studio (6 cr), prerequisite is LAR 501, exception is Architecture Students
Summer Semester LAR courses
(note: some courses may not be offered every summer)
- LAR 523 Landscape Architecture Plant ID (2 cr)
- LAR 524 Planting Design Applications in Landscape Architecture (2 cr)
- LAR 582 006 Environment and Behavior for Designers (3 cr) online course
For students in the School of Architecture only, select one (1) course below in addition to 3 courses (9 credit hours) from the previously listed courses:
- LAR 502 Site Design and Environmental Planning Studio (6 cr)
- LAR 506 Landscape Architecture Design + Build Studio (6 cr)
- LAR 507 Advanced Topics Studio in Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning (6 cr)
Entrance into the minor is by application, grade review and permission of the Department Chair. A GPA of 2.75 is required. Contact the Chair of the Department of Landscape Architecture (listed below) or the College of Design Scheduling Officer, Pam Christie-Tabron (200 Brooks Hall, 919.515.8308) for the application.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification can be found in 223 Brooks Hall and should be completed during the registration period of the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonMeg Calkins, FASLA, Department Head
Department of Landscape Architecture
215D Brooks Hall
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 12LND PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION