Landscape Architecture (12LND)
The Minor in Landscape Architecture will provide a basic understanding of the nature of the profession of Landscape Architecture. Knowledge of Landscape Architecture history and theory provides a useful addition to a major in any of the University disciplines.
The Minor in Landscape Architecture is designed to:
- Provide a general background in the discipline with regard to landscape architecture research, development and design for students, whose primary professional practice will be in another discipline.
- Clarify the role of the profession of Landscape Architecture.
- Define how the profession of Landscape Architecture and all related professional disciplines contribute to the successful practice of design.
- Completion of 15 credit hours are required.
- A letter grade of ‘C-‘ or better will be required for credit in all courses in the minor program.
Elective Courses – To be determined in consultation with the minor coordinator (15 credit hours)
Below is a sample listing of courses applicable to the minor.
- LAR 221 Introduction to Environment and Behavior for Designers (3 cr)
- LAR 444 Landscape History (3 cr)
- LAR 511 Community Design Policy (3 cr)
- LAR 521 Value Theory & Method (3 cr)
- LAR 578 Ecological Design (3 cr)
- LAR 579 Human Use of Urban Landscape (3 cr)
- LAR 582 Special Topics in Landscape Architecture (3 cr)
For students in the School of Architecture only, select one (1) course below in addition to 3 courses (9 credit hours) from the above list of courses:
- LAR 200 Landscape Design Studio (6 cr)
- LAR 400 Landscape Design Studio (6 cr)
- LAR 500 Landscape Design Studio (6 cr)
Students in the undergraduate major in Architecture, Environmental Design in Architecture, Art & Design, Graphic Design, and Industrial Design are eligible for enrollment in this program. Students from all other colleges may petition the Department of Landscape Architecture for an interview to gain entry into the minor.
Entrance to the minor is by application, grade review and permission of the Department Chair. A GPA of 2.75 is required. Contact the Chair of the Department of Landscape Architecture (listed below) or the College of Design Registrar, Hazel Tudor (200 Brooks Hall, 919.515.8317) for the application.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification can be found in 223 Brooks Hall and should be completed during the registration period of the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonGene Bressler
212 Brooks Hall
SIS Code: 12LND PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION