The Department of English and the Department of Communication offer a minor in Journalism to N.C. State students, except English majors in the Language, Writing and Rhetoric Concentration (16ENGLBA 16ENGLLWR). The minor will provide coursework in writing and editing news and features for print and non-print media, as well as an introduction to the profession of journalism.
- Completion of 15 credit hours of coursework at the 200 level or above as listed below.
- No more than two (2) courses (six (6) hours) of transfer credit
- Must have an overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-’.
- Four (4) required courses and one (1) elective course.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- ENG 214 Introduction to Editing OR ENG 417 Editorial and Opinion Writing
- ENG 316 Principles of News and Article Writing
- ENG 416 Advanced News and Article Writing
- COM 267 Electronic Media Writing: Theory and Practice
Elective Courses (3 credit hours)
Choose one (1) of the following courses:
- COM 421 Communication Law
- COM 431 Communication in Political Campaigns
- COM 441 Ethical Issues in Communication
- ENG 350 Internship in Writing and Editing
- ENG 417 Editorial and Opinion Writing
Only open to Communication Majors
- COM 417 Advanced Topics in Communication and Race
- COM 447 Communication and Globalization
- COM 457 Media and Family
- COM 487 Internet and Society
Admissions and Certification
Students interested in declaring a minor in Journalism should contact the minor coordinator listed below. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
Contact PersonPaul Isom
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 16JOM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION