The Department of English and the Department of Communication offer a minor in Journalism to N.C. State students, except Language, Writing and Rhetoric (LWR) English majors. The minor will provide coursework in writing and editing news and features for print and non-print media, as well as an introduction to the profession of journalism.
- Completion of 15 credit hours of coursework at the 200 level or above as listed below.
- No more than 2 courses (6 hours) of transfer credit
- Must have an overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor and may count no course grade lower than a ‘C-’.
- 4 required courses and 1 elective course.
- Only one course may count for both a student’s major and minor.
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (12 credit hours)
- ENG 214 Introduction to Editing OR ENG 417 Editorial and Opinion Writing
- ENG 316 Principles of News and Article Writing
- ENG 416 Advanced News and Article Writing
- COM 267 Electronic Media Writing: Theory and Practice
Elective Courses (3 credit hours)
Choose 1 of the following courses:
- COM 421 Communication Law
- COM 431 Communication in Political Campaigns
- COM 441 Ethical Issues in Communication
- ENG 350 Internship in Writing and Editing
- ENG 417 Editorial and Opinion Writing
- ENG 520 Science Writing for the Media (with permission)
Only open to Communication Majors
- COM 417 Advanced Topics in Communication and Race
- COM 447 Communication and Globalization
- COM 457 Media and Family
- COM 487 Internet and Society
Students may declare their intention to complete the Journalism minor by consulting with Professor Paul Isom as listed below.
Paul Isom will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonPaul Isom
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 16JOM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION