The undergraduate minor in Jewish studies treats the history, religious traditions, culture, language, and literature of the Jewish people. Students in this interdisciplinary program will have the opportunity to deepen their understanding and appreciation of Judaism from a wide range of academic disciplines, including Religious Studies, History, Language, Literature, and Film Studies.
- The minor consists of 15 hours of credit (5 courses).
- An overall minor GPA of at least 2.0 is required.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be double-counted towards both major departmental requirements and minor electives.
- No more than two courses from other institutions may count toward the minor. The department will determine whether courses which have been transferred from other institutions qualify for the minor.
- ENG/FL 246 – Literature of the Holocaust
- HI 307 – Jewish History
- HI 418 – Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany
- HI 466 – History of Palestinian-Israeli Conflict
- REL 311 – Introduction to Hebrew Bible
- REL 314 – Introduction to Intertestamental Literature
- REL 350 – Introduction to Judaism
Note: Special Topics courses, when topically appropriate, may be approved for the minor. Previous examples include ENG 492/IDS 496 Special Topics in Film Styles and Genres, ST title: Representing the Holocaust, and FLG 390 German Special Topics, ST title: German Film and the Holocaust. Consult with the minor program coordinator listed below.
Students interested in declaring a minor in Jewish Studies should consult with the program coordinator listed below.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Contact PersonsProf. William Adler
Distinguished University Professor of Religious Studies
Coordinator of Jewish Studies
Department of Philosophy and Religious StudiesBox 8103443 Withers
106 D 1911 Building
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgSIS Code: 16JSTM
Effective Spring 2019
PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION