The Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship has been specifically designed to be applicable and accessible to students in all areas of study at NC State. Students who will find this certificate most engaging will be those students interested in turning ideas into action through starting ventures, working in a startup environment or applying entrepreneurial thinking skills to an existing organization. This certificate differs from the entrepreneurship minors available on campus by giving students a broad overview of the entrepreneurial process from an interdisciplinary perspective. Students will have the opportunity to explore entrepreneurial thinking in the arts, the social entrepreneurship sector, non-profits, for-profits, start-ups, growth ventures, B-Corps, and other areas of interest. Students who complete the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship will specifically benefit from the interdisciplinary nature of instructors, peers, teams, mentors, materials, activities, opportunities, community partners and alumni.
1. To declare your intent to complete the certificate, please fill out and submit the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship Google Form https://goo.gl/forms/o7rJDWI1CF5gkGRH3. You will receive an email confirmation of your submission, and you should hear from a certificate administrator within a week of your submission.
2. Once you have been accepted into the certificate program, a certificate administrator will follow up with you via email to acknowledge receipt of your declaration form and to provide instructions for accessing the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship website via Moodle.
3. As you complete work towards the certificate, fill out and submit the appropriate information via Moodle to track your progress. This will help you establish a robust portfolio of your experiences in the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship.
4. Submit your request to complete the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship prior to November 15/April 15 of your graduating semester.
5. Contact Jennifer Capps at 919-515-4530 with any questions.
Requirement 1 of 3: Choose 12 credit hours from the interdisciplinary course options below. No more than 2 courses counting towards the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship may come from the same course prefix. Students will be required to submit work samples from their chosen certificate courses to an online portfolio via the Moodle Certificate Management website. The Moodle site for documenting student completion of certificate requirements is being modeled after the NC State Office of Faculty Development Certificate of Reflective Teaching.
- EI 201 Exploring Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurial Thinking (3cr)
- EI 331 Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurial Thinking I: Skills and Planning Basics (3cr) **EI 201 is a prerequisite for this course
- EMA 110 Introduction to Arts Entrepreneurship (3cr)
- EMA 365 Foundations in Arts Entrepreneurship (3cr)
- EMA 370 Practical Arts Entrepreneurship (3cr)
- MIE 310 Introduction to Entrepreneurship (3cr)
- MIE 410 Business Opportunity Analysis (3cr) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 412 Finance and Accounting for Entrepreneurs (3cr) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 413 New Venture Planning (3cr) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 416 The Legal Dynamics of Entrepreneurship (3cr) **MIE 310 is a prerequisite for this course
- MIE 419: Entrepreneurship Practicum (3cr) **MIE 413 is a suggested co-requisite for Certificate participants
- FTM 310 Entrepreneurship & New Product Development in Textiles (3cr) ** Students must have junior standing in order to enroll in this course; restricted to College of Textiles students in FTM, FTD or TT degree programs
- ECE 482/MAE 482: Engineering Entrepreneurship and New Product Development I (3cr)
**Departmental approval required
- ECE 483/MAE 483: Engineering Entrepreneurship and New Product Development II (3cr)
**Departmental approval required
- PS 203 Introduction to Nonprofits (3cr)
- Please note that ECE 383 will be added to the Certificate options once it has received 3 credit hour status. In addition, members of the NC State Entrepreneurship faculty will work with programs, colleges and departments throughout campus to add new entrepreneurship courses that will become part of the certificate options when possible.
Requirement 2 of 3: Choose at least 1 Intensive Experience from the options below. Please note that Intensive Experiences must be completed after declaring your intent to complete the Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship.
- Complete the Andrews Launch Accelerator program with the NC State Entrepreneurship Clinic
- Complete one semester as a volunteer with the NC State B Corp Clinic in an entrepreneurial environment
- Complete one full year of membership in the Albright Entrepreneurs Village
- Complete at least 15 Entrepreneurship Skills Workshops offered through NC State Entrepreneurship (To ensure that minimum standards for an Intensive Experience are met, acceptable workshops will be designated as approved for Certificate Intensive Experience)
- Complete the Social Innovation Fellows Program
- Additional Intensive Experiences may count towards the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship. Please contact the Certificate Director for prior approval of independent Intensive Experiences such as internships, additional capstone courses, or other proposed projects including business development as an NC State Entrepreneurs Garage member, participation in the StartingBloc Institute, etc.
- Approved Intensive Experiences may be added to this list as they become available and are approved by members of the NC State Entrepreneurship Faculty Advisory Council.
Requirement 3 of 3: Complete and submit your responses to the required essay questions during your final semester of the Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship:
Phone: (919) 515-4530
Term Effective: 8/2018
Plan Code: 24EICPTU
CIP Code: 24.0101
Description: Undergraduate Certificate in Interdisciplinary Entrepreneurship