Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The minor in History is flexible in that it can provide depth to a variety of majors by granting a larger historical understanding of a subject. Thus students majoring in political science but with a special interest in the Middle East or Europe can gain a much deeper understanding of how events in the past have shaped present dilemmas. Likewise, those wishing to attend law school can choose from a range of courses in legal history. You can tailor the minor to suit your individual interests. History courses teach not only background, but methods of research, analysis, and writing. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- Open to any student and is without any prerequisites.
- Completion of 15 hours (5 courses) in History.
- A grade of ‘C-’ or better in all completed courses used toward the minor.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- A maximum of 6 hours of advanced placement credit or transfer credit can be applied towards the minor. The department will determine whether courses which have been transferred from other institutions qualify for the minor.
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
Choose 2 courses (6 credits) in History (HI) or History of Art (HA) at the 200-level.
Elective Courses (9 credits)
Choose 1 course at the 400 level and 2 courses at the 300 level or above.
- 1 course in HI or HA at the 400 level (3 cr)
- 2 courses at the 300 level or above (6 cr)
Students may declare their intention to complete the history minor at any time. Students are, however, encouraged to discuss their interests and intentions with the minor advisor early in their college careers. Students will work with an advisor to create a minor plan. Once this plan has been created, students can complete the application form and submit for approval by the Department.
Dean Bruno will certify the minor prior to graduation. Paperwork for certification is completed once the student has completed the courses for the minor or at the beginning of the student’s final semester, whichever occurs first. Still, students should check with the advisor no later than the pre-registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State to make sure they are not missing any courses for the minor.
Contact PersonDean Bruno
265 Withers Hall
SIS Code: 16HIM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION