The minor in History is flexible in that it can provide depth to a variety of majors by granting a larger historical understanding of a subject. Thus students majoring in political science but with a special interest in the Middle East or Europe can gain a much deeper understanding of how events in the past have shaped present dilemmas. Likewise, those wishing to attend law school can choose from a range of courses in legal history. You can tailor the minor to suit your individual interests. History courses teach not only background, but methods of research, analysis, and writing. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- Open to any student and is without any prerequisites.
- Completion of 18 hours (6 courses) in History.
- A grade of ‘C-’ or better in all completed courses used toward the minor.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
Choose 1 course (3 credits) about Pre-Industrial or non-Western history (A 200-level survey course covering a culture significantly different from our own)
- HI 207 Ancient World to 180 A.D.
- HI 208 The Middle Ages
- HI 209 Europe, Renaissance to Waterloo, 1300-1815
- HI 214 History and Archaeology of Ancient Latin America
- HI 215 Latin America to 1826
- HI 216 Latin America Since 1826
- HI 263 Asian Civilizations to 1800
- HI 264 Modern Asia: 1800 to Present
- HI 270 Modern Middle East
- HI 275 Introduction to History of South and East Africa
- HI 276 Introduction to History of West Africa
Choose 1 course (3 credits) about United States or Post-Industrial Western history (A 200-level survey course covering our own or a similar culture)
- HI 205 Western Civilization Since 1400
- HI 210 Modern Europe 1815-Present
- HI 221 British History to 1688
- HI 222 History of British Cultures and Societies
- HI 233 The World in the 20th Century
- HI 251 Early American History
- HI 252 Modern American History
- HI 254 Modern American History
Elective Courses (12 credits)
Choose 2 courses at the 400 level and 2 courses at the 300 level or above.
- 2 courses at the 300 level or above (6 cr)
- 2 courses at the 400 level (6 cr)
Students may declare their intention to complete the history minor at any time. Students are, however, encouraged to discuss their interests and intentions with the minor advisor early in their college careers. Students will work with an advisor to create a minor plan. Once this plan has been created, students can complete the application form and submit for approval by the Department.
Dean Bruno will certify the minor prior to graduation. Paperwork for certification is completed once the student has completed the courses for the minor or at the beginning of the student’s final semester, whichever occurs first. Still, students should check with the advisor no later than the pre-registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State to make sure they are not missing any courses for the minor.
Contact PersonDean Bruno
SIS Code: 16HIM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION