Students majoring in any area of study at NC State are eligible to minor in Hindi-Urdu. The minor in Hindi-Urdu provides students with an understanding of South Asian language, culture, history, and religious traditions, and gives students a foundation from which to explore the relation between the nations of South Asia and others throughout the world. Students who intend to work overseas or in multicultural settings and firms within the United States will find this minor very useful.
- Completion of at least 15 credit hours.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State and a maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution.
- All courses for the minor must be completed with a grade of ‘C-‘ or better.
- Students must demonstrate tested oral and written proficiency in Hindi-Urdu at the FLN 302 level. This requirement will normally be met by the successful completion of FLN 301 and FLN 302 with a grade of ‘C-‘ or better.
- Students are expected to have mastered either the Hindi or Urdu writing systems, but not necessarily both.
- No more than 6 transfer credits may be applied toward the Minor requirement.
- Credit earned on the NC State Summer in India Study Abroad Program may be counted toward the Minor requirement.
- Courses taken in non-NC State Study Abroad or Summer Language Programs may be counted toward the minor but are subject to the transfer credit limit.
- Prerequisite courses (e.g. FLN 101, FLN 102) will be in addition to the hours required for the minor.
- Hindi-Urdu language drill courses (FLN 103, 104, 203, 204) are in addition to the Minor requirement.
- A maximum of TWO (2) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
- FLN 301 Advanced Hindi-Urdu I: Readings in Prose (3 cr- offered Fall semester)
- FLN 302 Advanced Hindi-Urdu II: Readings in Poetry (3 cr- offered Spring semester)
Elective Courses (9 credit hours)
Choose 3 of the following courses:
- FLN 201 Intermediate Hindi-Urdu I (3 cr- offered Fall semester)*
- FLN 202 Intermediate Hindi-Urdu II (3 cr- offered Spring semester)*
- REL 230 Religions of South Asia
- REL 331 The Hindu Tradition
- HI 474 Modern India
- PS 343 Government and Politics in South Asia
These courses may not be offered every semester or every year. Check the Schedule of Courses. With the Minor advisor’s approval, additional South Asia-related courses offered as Special Topics in Foreign Languages, World Literature, History, and Religion Studies may be used to fulfill the elective course requirement.
*Note: Students who have taken the proficiency examination and placed out of FLN 201 and/or FLN 202 may not count these courses toward the Minor.
Students first download a Departmental Minor Declaration Form and consult with their major advisor for approval of the minor program. After the student obtains the major advisor’s signature, he/she meets with the minor advisor to develop a plan of study indicating required courses and expected dates of completion. A copy of the student’s minor plan of study will be kept on file in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
A University Minor Declaration Form should be submitted to Registration and Records for inclusion of the minor on the student’s official record. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288, http://www4.ncsu.edu/~navey/, 321 Withers), to complete the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Contact PersonDr. Sujata S. Mody
417 Withers Hall
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 16HINDIM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION