The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 15-hour minor in Health which is designed for undergraduate students wishing to pursue careers in health-related professions and for students wishing to gain in-depth knowledge in various contemporary health-related topics for their own personal development. The minor provides students with theories, concepts, and practical skills concerning health behavior and includes a practicum to apply theory to practice. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
The minor will require a minimum of 9 hours plus the practicum experience taken at North Carolina State University.
- A grade of “C-” or better required in each course.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.0 in the minor.
- All Health Minor courses (16 credit hours) must be taken for a letter grade to complete the Health minor.
- The minor will require a minimum of ten (10) hours taken at North Carolina State University.
- Students must complete HESM 285 (Personal Health), HESM 375 (Health Planning and Programming), HESM 377 (Methods of Health Promotion) and at least 6 hours of electives from the Health Minor before taking HESM (PEH) 300(Practicum in Health).
- HESM 285 (Personal Health) will be a prerequisite for HESM 375 (Health Planning and Programming).
- HESM 285 (Personal Health) and HESM 375 (Health Planning and Programming) will be prerequisites for HESM 377 (Methods of Health Promotion).
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Required Courses (7 credit hours)
*Students must complete HESM (PEH) 285 (Personal Health), HESM (PEH) 375 (Health Planning and Programming), HESM (PEH) 377 (Methods of Health Promotion) and at least 6 hours of electives from the Health Minor before taking HESM (PEH) 300 (Practicum in Health).
- HESM (PEH) 285 Personal Health (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 375 Health Planning and Programming (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 377 Methods of Health Promotion (2 cr)
- *HESM (PEH) 300 Practicum in Health (1 cr)
Elective Courses (8 credit hours)
The elective courses may be selected in consultation with your Health minor advisor. The following are a list of approved elective courses for your consideration.
- BIO 105 (WITH BIO 106 Lab- 1cr) Biology in the Modern World (3 cr) OR BIO 181 Introductory Biology I (4 cr)
- GN 301 Genetics in Human Affairs (3 cr)
- MB 200 Microbiology and World Affairs (3 cr)
- NTR 301 Introduction to Human Nutrition (3 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 212 Alcohol, Drugs, and Tobacco (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 213 Human Sexuality (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 280 Responding to Emergencies (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 281 First Responder (3 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 284 Women’s Health Issues (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 286 Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Control (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 287 Stress Management (2 cr)
- HESM (PEH) 335 Prevention of Sexual Assault and Violence (3 cr)
- PRT 200 Leisure Behavior, Health and Wellness (3 cr)
- SOC 381 Sociology of Medicine (3 cr)
Students interested in declaring a minor in Health should consult with the below contact person. Students who select the Health minor will be assigned a minor advisor. The program will be overseen by a standing Health Minor Committee. Members of the committee will be chosen from those teaching core courses or from among faculty members with a special interest and expertise in the interrelationship of health, wellness, and contemporary society. Members of the committee are eligible to serve as minor advisors. The advisor will consult with the student to assure that the minor program is progressing.
The below contact person will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. The student must file a copy of the plan of coursework with the major advisor as soon as the minor is declared – at the latest, by the end of the regular registration period one semester prior to the semester of graduation.
Contact PersonChristopher S. Ousley
1309 Carmichael Gymnasium
email@example.com Effective Date: 8/2011 SIS Code: 24HLTHM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION