Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The objective of the minor in a foreign language is to enable students majoring in any field to acquire proficiency in a second language, understanding the culture, and knowledge of the countries in which the language is spoken.
- Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State and a maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution.
- The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify in meeting requirements for the minor, as well as the number of transfer credits permitted to meet program requirements.
- It is required that students complete at least three (3) courses either at NC State or at an NC State sponsored study-abroad program.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in all courses in the minor program.
- A maximum of ONE (1) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
One of the following two (2) courses:
- FLG 201 Intermediate German I
- FLG3XX/4XX If placing at the FLG 300 level through the NC State Placement Exam, you will need to take an additional course at the 300 or 400 level in order to assemble the 15 credits for the minor.
One of the following two (2) courses:
- FLG 202 Intermediate German II
- FLG 212 German Language, Culture, Science and Technology
Elective Courses (9 credit hours)
Three (3) additional courses from the following:
- ARS 252 The Arts of Vienna 1900
- FLG 301 Advanced German*
- FLG 302 German Oral and Written Expression*
- FLG 307 Business German*
- FLG 311 Introduction to German Translation*
- FLG 315 German Culture and Civilization
- FLG 318 New German Cinema
- FLG 320 Introduction to German Literature
- FLG 323 Twentieth Century German Literature
- FLG 325 German Lyric Poetry
- FLG 390 German Studies Topics
- FLG 398 Independent Study in German
- FLG 407 Business German II
- FLG 420 Current Issues in German Language Media
- FLG 430 Cultural Artifacts in the German-speaking Countries
- FLG 440 Green Germany
- FLG 492 Senior Seminar in German Studies
- FLG 499 Internship in Germany, Austria, or German-speaking Switzerland (up to 3 credits)
*No more than two (2) courses may be selected from the language skill courses FLG 301, 302, 307, 311, and 407.
Students first download a Departmental Minor Declaration Form and consult with their major advisor for approval of the minor program. After the student obtains the major advisor’s signature, he/she meets with the minor advisor to develop a plan of study indicating required courses and expected dates of completion. A copy of the student’s minor plan of study will be kept on file in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
A University Minor Declaration Form should be submitted to Registration and Records for inclusion of the minor on the student’s official record. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288, https://fll.chass.ncsu.edu/people/faculty_staff/navey, 321 Withers), to complete the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Dr. Lutz Kube