Intended for horticultural professionals and home gardeners, the Undergraduate Certificate in General Horticulture offered by the Department of Horticultural Science is designed to meet the foundational and specialized educational needs of both non-traditional students and degree-seeking students. Students completing the 15 credit hours of course-work will have a strong background in horticultural science and techniques and specialization in elective areas of the student’s choosing.
Dr. Helen T. Kraus
Department of Horticultural Science
Box 7609, N.C. State University
(Kilgore Hall 132)
Raleigh, NC 27695-7609
Information for Distance Education students (click here)
- Students will be required to complete 6 hours (2 courses) of foundational horticultural course work and select 9 hours (3-4 courses) from a list of electives where the student may choose to specialize in a certain area of horticulture or maintain a broad, general focus. All courses will be available as distance education courses as well as face-to-face courses with the exception of HS 202 and HS 431 (taught face-to-face only).
- With completion of 15 credit hours and a grade C (2.0) or better in each course, the student will be awarded a certificate and transcript notation acknowledging their accomplishments.
- Students must complete the 15 hours of course work required plus any course pre-requisites within 4 calendar years, beginning with the date the student commences courses applicable to the certificate.
Non-allied Horticultural Science majors as well as non-degree seeking students (NDS) are eligible for this certificate. Degree-seeking students enrolled in the BS in Horticultural Science program, Minor in Horticulture, or any other Horticultural professionally allied NC State degree program (11AGBUSBS, 11AGEDBS, 11EXTEDBS, 11PBBS, 11HORTBS, 11PSSBS, 11AGRONBS, and 11TFGBS) are not eligible for this Certificate and should pursue the Minor in Horticultural Science.
Required Courses: (6 hours)
- HS 201 – The World of Horticulture: Principles and Practices (3 hours)
- HS 203 – Home Plant Propagation (3 hours)
Elective Courses: (9 hours)
Select at least 2-3 courses from the following:
- HS 200 – Home Horticulture (3 hours) (formerly HS 100)
- HS 202 – Power of Plants (3 hours) (not available DE)
- HS 204 – Home Landscape Maintenance (3 hours)
- HS 250 – Home Landscape Design: Creating Garden Spaces (3 hours)
- HS 431 – Vegetable Production (4 hours) (not available DE)*
- HS 432 – Permaculture: Sustainable Living (3 hours)
- HS 451 – Plant Nutrition (3 hours)*
- HS 462 – Postharvest Physiology (3 hours)*
- HS 423 – Viticulture (3 hours)*
One Course (of the 9 elective credit hours) may be selected from the following:
- PP 315 – Principles of Plant Pathology (3 hours)*
- PP 318 – Forest Pathology (4 hours)*
- ENT 425 – General Entomology (3 hours)*
- SSC 200 – Soil Science (3 hours)*
- SSC 341 – Soil Fertility and Fertilizers (3 hours)*
* Courses followed by an * have a prerequisite requirement
Total Hours: 15 credit hours.
Non-Degree Studies (NDS) students seeking the Undergraduate Certificate in General Horticulture must have completed high school with a GPA of at least a 3.0 on a 4-point scale and provide a transcript or copy of other such documentation indicating high school completion and grade point average. NC State undergraduates should contact the program coordinator for admissions detail.
Plan of Study and Registration Information
Contact the Program Coordinator.
Term Effective: 8/2010
Plan Code: 32THCCTU, 11THCCTU
CIP Code: 01.1103
Description: Undergraduate Certificate in General Horticulture
Offered via Distance Education and On-campus