The objective of the minor in a foreign language is to enable students majoring in any field to acquire proficiency in a second language, understanding the culture, and knowledge of the countries in which the language is spoken.
- Completion of 15 credit hours is required.
- 9 Credit hours must be taken at NC State and a maximum of six (6) credit hours may be transferred into the minor from another institution.
- The Department of Foreign Languages and Literature will determine which courses transferred from other institutions may qualify to meet requirements for the minor.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required in all courses in the minor program.
- A maximum of TWO (2) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
- No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
Students may declare the minor when they are enrolled in a class that counts toward the minor.
- FLF 201 Intermediate French I or FLF 212 French: Language, Culture, and Technology
- FLF 202 Intermediate French II
- 3 additional upper-division (300-400-level) courses in French, 1 of which must be a course in film, literature or civilization*
*French literature courses also satisfy the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHASS) literature requirement and may satisfy literature or humanities electives in many other majors.
Students first download a Departmental Minor Declaration Form and consult with their major advisor for approval of the minor program. After the student obtains the major advisor’s signature, he/she meets with the minor advisor to develop a plan of study indicating required courses and expected dates of completion. A copy of the student’s minor plan of study will be kept on file in the Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures.
A University Minor Declaration Form should be submitted to Registration and Records for inclusion of the minor on the student’s official record. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should meet with the Coordinator of Advising, Ms. Susan Navey-Davis (919.515.9288, http://www4.ncsu.edu/~navey/, 321 Withers), to complete the final certification. Students will receive official recognition on their transcripts for the completed minor.
Dr. Dudley Marchi
319 Withers Hall