Fitness Leadership (24FLM) – no new admits
THIS MINOR WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS OF JANUARY 2010
The Department of Physical Education offers a Fitness Leadership Minor designed to prepare students to assume fitness leadership responsibilities. The minor provides coursework in anatomy, physiology, nutrition, and biomechanical principles; prevention and treatment of athletic injuries development and evaluation of fitness programs; and an opportunity to apply theory into practice through a practicum.
- Completion of 17 credit hours
- A grade of “C” (2.0) or better required in each course.
- There are 5 required courses totaling 11 credit hours.
- The remaining 6 hours consist of elective courses selected from a list of fitness specific offerings.
- Students are required to complete PEH 280 Responding to Emergencies or its equivalent prior to entering the Fitness Leadership Minor.
- A maximum of TWO (2) course may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (11 credit hours)
- PEC 211 Strength Training and Conditioning (2 cr)
- PEH 286 Nutrition, Exercise and Weight Management (2 cr)
- PEF 303 Fitness Practicum (1 cr)
- PEC 478 Principles of Sports Science (3 cr)
- PEF 480 Principles of Exercise Programming (3 cr)
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Select courses from the following list:
- PE 101 Fitness & Wellness (1 cr)
- PE 102 Fitness Walking (1 cr)
- PE 103 Water Aerobics (1 cr)
- PE 104 Swim Conditioning (1 cr)
- PE 105 Aerobics and Body Conditioning (1 cr)
- PE 106 Triathlon (1 cr)
- PE 107 Run Conditioning (1 cr)
- PE 108 Water Step Aerobics (1 cr)
- PE 109 Step Aerobics (1cr)
- PE 230 Pilates/Core Training (1 cr)
- PE 237 Weight Training (1 cr)
- PE 279 Yoga (1 cr)
- PE 282 Advance Aerobics and Leadership (1 cr)
- PEF 214 Methods of Group Exercise Instruction (2 cr)
- PEC 381 Athletic Training (3 cr)
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Any student seeking a minor must consult the contact person listed below on a plan of work and must file a copy of this plan with the major advisor as soon as the minor is declared– at latest, by the end of the regular registration period one semester prior to the semester of graduation. Plans of work filed late may result in recognition of the minor NOT appearing on the student’s final transcript.
Contact PersonNita Horne
2019 Carmichael Gymnasium
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 24FLM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION