Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The Departments of English, Communication, Foreign Languages and Literatures, and the Programs in Interdisciplinary Studies offer a minor in Film Studies open to students across the university. The minor provides a comprehensive introduction to the art and industry of the cinema through courses in film analysis, history, theory, criticism, screen writing, and production. No courses for the minor may be taken for S/U credit.
- Complete 15 credit hours at the 200 level or above.
- No more than 6 transfer hours may be credited toward the minor.
- Must maintain a ‘C’ average (2.0) in the minor and earn a grade of ‘C-‘ or better in all courses used toward the minor.
- This minor is not open to students in the Film Concentration of the B.A. in English (16ENGLBA 16ENGLFLM) nor the students in the Film Studies Concentration of the B.A. in Arts Studies (16ARTSTBA 16ARTSTFLM).
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (6 credit hours)
ENG 282 Introduction to Film
ENG/COM 364 History of Film to 1940 OR ENG/COM 374 History of Film Since 1940
Elective Courses (9 credit hours)
Select 3 courses from the following:
- ENG 292 Writing in Film
- ENG 330 Screen Writing
- ENG/COM 364 History of Film to 1940 -OR-
- ENG/COM 374 History of Film Since 1940 (whichever is not taken to fulfill requirement I)
- ENG/AFS 375 African American Cinema
- ENG 378 Women and Film
- ENG 382 Film and Literature
- ENG 384 Film Theory
- ENG 430 Advanced Screenwriting
- ENG 492 Special Topics in Film Styles and Genres
- COM 444 Film Production
- IDS 496 Topics in Film and Interdisciplinary Studies (formerly MDS 496)
- FLF 318 French Cinema OR FLS 318 Hispanic Cinema OR FLG 318 New German Cinema
- Note: Only one FL course may count towards the Film Studies minor
Students may declare their intention to complete the Film Studies minor by consulting with Dr. Marsha Gordon as listed below.
Dr. Marsha Gordon will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
257 Tompkins Hall