The minor in Extension Education is open to all interested baccalaureate students. The minor is especially appropriate for students enrolled in agricultural, natural resource, and nutrition majors and/or those students who are interested in careers with the Cooperative Extension Service or other nonformal educational/community outreach organizations. Students completing a minor in Extension Education will become familiar with the organization, structure, and mission of Cooperative Extension; the planning and delivery of nonformal educational programs; the management and leadership of volunteers; communication media and technology; and leadership theory, principles, and skills. The minor requires a minimum of 15 credit hours, with 9 credit hours from a required core and 6 credit hours from a list of advised electives. A grade of “C” or better is required in all courses used toward the minor. Courses used to satisfy the minor may not be taken for credit only. Course substitutions may be made with minor advisor and minor administrator approval.
The minor requires a minimum of 15 credit hours with 9 credit hours from a required core and 6 credit hours from a list of advised electives. The minimum grade required for all courses counting toward the minor is “C”.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- AEE 230 Introduction to Cooperative Extension (3 cr)
- AEE 325 Planning and Delivery of Non-formal Education programs (3 cr)
- AEE 433 Leadership & Management of Volunteers in Agricultural and Extension Education (3 cr)
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Choose one (1) course from at least (2) different groups:
Group 1: Communication and Technology
- AEE 226 Computer Applic. and Information Technology in AEE (3 cr)
- AEE 311 Communication Methods and Media (3 cr)
- AEE 435 Professional Presentations in Agricultural Organizations (3 cr)
Group 2: Leadership Education
- AEE 323 Leadership in Development in Agriculture & Life Sciences (3 cr)
- AEE 332 Youth Leadership Development (3 cr)
- AEE 350 Personal Leadership Development in Agriculture & Life Sciences (3 cr)
- AEE 360 Developing Team Leadership in Agriculture & Life Sciences (3 cr)
- AEE 434 Collaborative Leadership: Building Partnerships Across Community Programs (3 cr)
- AEE 460 Organizational Leadership Devel. in Agriculture & Life Sciences (3 cr)
Group 3: Advanced Extension Education
- AEE 333 Youth Program Development and Management (3 cr)
- AEE 478 Advanced Issues in Extension Education (3 cr)
Students who plan to complete a minor in Extension Education should contact the minor program administrator for consultation and approval. After consultation and approval, the student will complete and submit the Declare a Minor form to Registration & Records for processing. A minor advisor will be assigned to all students completing the Extension Education minor. Students must consult with their minor advisor during each enrollment period. Requirements and forms for the minor may also be obtained in 201 Ricks Hall or by contacting the departmental Student Services Assistant at 919.515.2241.
As the student nears completion of the minor, the student and their minor advisor will complete and submit to the minor administrator the Application for Minor Certification. The minor program administrator will certify the completion of the student’s minor program. Certification must be submitted no later than the enrollment period for the student’s final semester at NC State (prior to the first day of their last semester). The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
Contact PersonDr. Joseph Donaldson
202 Ricks Hall
firstname.lastname@example.org Effective Date: 1/2009 SIS code: 11EXTEDM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION