Evolutionary Biology (17EVOM)
The Minor in Evolutionary Biology provides undergraduate students with an understanding of agents of evolutionary change, how evolutionary processes are monitored across various time scales, and how these processes are quantified in extant and extinct populations. Offered by the Department of Biological Sciences, the Evolutionary Biology Minor is available to all baccalaureate degree students at North Carolina State University except for those in the B.S. in Biological Sciences with a concentration in Ecology, Evolution, and Conservation Biology. This minor is especially appropriate for (but not limited to) students majoring in the life sciences, agricultural sciences, physical sciences, natural resources, or science education. At least 9 credit hours of the minor must be completed at NC State.
Requirements (18 credit hours total)
The Evolutionary Biology Minor consists of a minimum of 18 credit hours.
• A grade of C- or better is required for all minor courses with a 2.0 GPA required in the minor for graduation.
• No course used in the minor can be taken for credit only (S/U).
• Courses taken for the minor can also be used toward major requirements, GEP Electives, or Free Electives.
• At least 9 credit hours of the minor must be completed at NC State.
Required Courses (8 credit hours)
• GN 311 Principles of Genetics (4 cr)
• GN 312 Elementary Genetics Laboratory (1 cr)
• BIO 330 Evolutionary Biology (3 cr)
Elective Courses (10 credit hours)
• ANT 371 Human Variation (3 cr)
• BIO 230 The Science of Studying Dinosaurs (3 cr)
• BIO 325 Paleontological Field Methods (4 cr)
• BIO 440 The Human Animal: An Evolutionary Perspective (3 cr)
• BIO 444 The Biology of Love and Sex (3 cr)
• GN 423 Population, Quantitative, and Evolutionary Genetics (3 cr)
• GN 453 Personal Genomics (3 cr) – pending approval
• MB 451 Microbial Diversity (3 cr)
• PB 400 Plant Diversity and Evolution (4 cr)
• PB 445/545 Paleobotany (4 cr)
• ZO 317 Primate Ecology and Evolution (3 cr)
• Evolution Research or Teaching Experience (maximum 3 cr)
Options include BSC 493, BSC 494, and BSC 498 -the focus of the research or teaching experience must be in evolutionary biology and the experience must be approved by the Minor Coordinator (usually through a signed contract specific to the course) prior to beginning the work.
Other relevant courses, including some capstone and special topics course offerings, can be approved by the Minor Coordinator on a case-by-case basis.
Students who plan to minor in Evolutionary Biology should contact the contact person listed below for information on how to do so. Students are strongly encouraged to declare the minor early in their studies so they receive information on relevant courses, events, and other opportunities from the Department of Biological Sciences.
All requirements for the minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her major degree program. Students apply to graduate in the minor through MyPack at the same time that they apply to graduate in their major program.
Bostian Hall 2727
Dr. Brian Langerhans
David Clark Labs 246
SIS Code: 17EVOM