Environmental Sciences (15EVM)
The Environmental Sciences minor allows students to connect the topics from their major to the compelling, contemporary issues that connect humans to the environment. The minor includes courses in all academic units to provide links between disciplines and to provide a foundation for analysis of environmental issues.
To complete the ES minor, students must complete 15 credit hours by taking three of the ES Core courses earning 9 Cr with a C- or better grade in each course. Students must then complete two additional elective courses with a C- or better from the approved list. A student may not major and minor in Environmental Science.
Required Courses Select three courses (9 Cr) from the Environmental Science Core Course list.
- ES 100 Introduction to Environmental Sciences
- ES 200 Climate Change and Sustainability
- ES 300 Energy and Environment
- ES 400 Analysis of Environmental Issues
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Choose two (2) courses from one or any of the groups listed below. Course substitutions may be made with minor advisor approval.
Group I – Biological Science
- MEA (BIO) 220 Marine Biology * This course has a prerequisite.
- FW (BIO) 221 Conservation of Natural Resources
- PB/BIO 360 Ecology * This course has a prerequisite.
- BIO 181 Introductory Biology: Ecology, Evolution, and Biodiversity
- FOR 252 Introduction to Forest Science
Group II – Physical Science
- MEA 101 Geology I: Physical and MEA 110 Geology I: Laboratory
- MEA 130 Introduction to Weather and Climate and MEA 135 Introduction to Weather and Climate Laboratory
- MEA 140 Natural Hazards and Global Change
- SSC 200 Soil Science (4 cr) *This course has a prerequisite.
- MEA 200 Introduction to Oceanography
- CE 373 Fundamentals of Environmental Engineering
Group III – Social Science
- IDS 201 Environmental Ethics
- NR/IDS 303 Humans and the Environment
- STS 322 Technological Catastrophes
- PHI 422 Philosophical Issues in Environmental Ethics
- PS 320 U.S. Environmental Law and Politics
- PS 336 Global Environmental Politics
- LAR 221 Introduction to Environment and Behavior for Designers
Group IV – Advanced Courses
- MEA 300 Environmental Geology *This course has a prerequisite.
- SSC 361 Role of Soils in Environmental Management
- NR 460 Renewable Natural Resource Management and Policy
- ET 410 Toxic Substances and Society (formerly MDS 410)
- EC 436 Environmental Economics
- FW (BIO) 430 Fisheries and Wildlife Administration
- BIO 402 Invertebrate Zoology
- HI 440 American Environmental History *This course has a prerequisite.
- NR 406 Conservation of Biological Diversity *This course has a prerequisite.
- SOC 450 Environmental Sociology *This course has a prerequisite.
Any student with an interest in Environmental Science minor should see the contact person listed below to discuss their interest in the minor, course requirements and complete the Declaration of Minor form to be submitted to the Office of Registration and Records.. Students must have a minimum overall grade point average of 2.0 to be admitted to the minor.
The Environmental Science Committee will review the student’s record and certify that the student has completed the requirements for the minor. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonErin A. Champion
3136B Jordan Hall
email@example.com Effective Date: 7/2010
SIS Code: 15EVM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION