The Department of Entomology offers an undergraduate minor in Entomology intended for students who are interested in insects, their management, and their role in the functioning of nature and agricultural ecosystems. Insects represent the single largest group of animal species — they impact every facet of human life and they are a very important part of our environment. This minor provides an opportunity for students to become familiar with the great diversity of insect life, to explore their form and function, to study their impact on and relationships with plants, humans, and other animals, and to learn about various methods of control.
- Program requires 15 semester hours
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or better is required for all courses to fulfill the minor requirements.
- Students must take ENT 425 (General Entomology – 3 cr) or ENT 402 (Forest Entomology – 3cr) plus 12 hours from the elective course list below.
- However, of these 12 hours of elective courses, at least 6 hours must be ENT courses.
Required Course (3 credit hours)
- ENT 425 General Entomology (3 cr) OR ENT 402 Forest Entomology (3cr)
Elective Courses (12 credit hours)
At least 2 of the 4 courses you choose must be ENT courses.
- ENT 201 Insects and People (3 cr)
- ENT 203 An Introduction to the Honey Bee and Beekeeping (3 cr)
- ENT 207 Insects and Human Disease (3 cr)
- ENT 305 Introduction to Forensic Entomology (3 cr)
- ENT 401/501 Honey Bee Biology and Management (3 cr)
- ENT 402 Forest Entomology (3 cr)
- ENT 425 General Entomology (3 cr)
- ENT 492 External Learning Experience (1-6 cr)
- ENT 493 Special Problems in Entomology (1-6 cr)
- ENT 495 Special Topics in Entomology (1- 3 cr)
- ENT 502 Insect Diversity (4 cr)
- ENT 503 Insect Morphology and Physiology (4 cr)
- ENT (ZO) 509 Biology of Aquatic Insects (4 cr)
- ENT 550 Fundamentals Iof Arthropod Management (3 cr)
- ENT (ZO) 582 Medical and Veterinary Entomology (3 cr)
- ENT 620 Special Problems (Arranged)
- ENT 641 Agricultural Entomology Practicum (3 cr)
- ENT 720 Insect Pathology (3 cr)
- ENT 726 Biological Control of Insects and Weeds (3 cr)
- ENT 731 Insect Ecology (3 cr)
- ENT 762 Insect Pest Management in Agricultural Crops (3 cr)
- ENT (FOR) 765 Advanced Forest Entomology (3 cr)
- BIO/PB 360 Ecology (4 cr)
- PB 403 Systematic Botany (4 cr)
- CS 415 Integrated Pest Management (3 cr)
- ZO 315 General Parasitology (3 cr)
- ZO 402 Invertebrate Biology (3 cr)
- ZO 410 Introduction to Animal Behavior (3 cr)
The Undergraduate minor program in Entomology is coordinated by Dr. John R. Meyer, the Entomology Undergraduate Teaching Coordinator, who acts as the minor advisor or assigns a minor advisor appropriate to the interests of the student.
Dr. Meyer will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonJohn Meyer
2107 Gardner Hall
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS code: 11ENM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION