Application for admission to any University minor program is now available via MyPack Portal.
Admission will be based upon the student’s academic record, and in most cases no longer requires departmental review.
To apply to Add a Minor, go to: https://go.ncsu.edu/minor_coda
The Department of Economics offers an undergraduate Minor in Economics to all undergraduate majors outside the Department of Economics. The Minor in Economics is designed to help student develop a basic understanding of the principles and applications of economics. By pursuing this minor the student will: develop an understanding of microeconomic and macroeconomic theory and the role of markets: understand the effects of government regulation and policy on economic behavior; learn to apply economics to contemporary social and market issues; and develop analytical skills.
- A GPA of 2.0 or greater is required in all economics courses (EC, ECG, and ARE) attempted at NC State.
- Courses for the minor may not be taken for credit only (pass/fail).
- Students may transfer in up to six credits towards the minor.
- All transfer credits must be approved by the Poole College of Management Office of Undergraduate Programs in Nelson 2150.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
- EC 205 Fundamentals of Economics (3 cr) (EC/ARE 201 may substitute for EC 205)
- EC/ARE 301 Intermediate Microeconomics (3 cr)
- EC 302 Intermediate Macroeconomics (3 cr)
Elective Courses (6 credit hours)
Select two (2) courses from any 300, 400, and/or 500 level EC/ECG Economics courses (except EC 310)
To be admitted into the Economics Minor, students must have a 3.0 or better cumulative NC State GPA, and complete a Minor Declaration form, available at: https://goo.gl/forms/whNchXFKPfUr9Auz1
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate form his or her degree program. If transfer credits contribute to the completion of the minor, students need to ensure that official transcripts are sent and processed at NC State.
Undergraduate Programs Office
2150 Nelson Hall