1. Design Thinking D 100, D 101 – 6 credit hours are required in the first year of Design Studies.
2. Design Culture I, Design Context II – 6 credit hours are required in the first year of Design Studies.
3. Basic Drawing ADN 281 is required. In addition two more courses (6 credit hours) in Design Foundations are required and may be selected from the following: ADN 111 2D, ADN 112 3D, ADN 414.
4. International Experience is required. May be taken at the Prague Institute or some other approved international program to fulfill the department’s International Experience requirement. In addition, a summer international studio in Art & Design or other design discipline may also fulfill this requirement. Please consult with your advisor.
5. Two survey courses (6 credit hours) in Art History are required and may be selected from the following: HA 202, 203; Art 221, 222 from Meredith College; or Art 151, 152 with Recitation Sections from UNC, CH.
6. Three courses (9 credit hours) in Design History are required and may be selected from the following: ADN 475, ARC 242, D 231, GD 342, LAR 444.
7. Choose a History (HI) course from the GEP Humanities course list.
8. Design Studies required 6 credit hours of FL beyond FL 102.
9. Mathematics Requirement: 3 credit hours must be selected from MA 114, 121, 131, 141, 231 or equivalent.
10. Social Sciences: EC 205 Fundamentals of Economics required for Business Administration Concentration and will count as a GEP Social Science.
11. Advanced Writing requirement to be chosen from ENG 201, 214, 215, 422.
Design Studies Advised electives
12. A total number of 9 credit hours of advised electives are required when pursuing the Design Studies with the BA concentration. The Advised electives are divided into three units: Application, History and Theory. From each of these units a minimum of one course (3 credit hours) must be selected. See Design Studies Advised Elective course list below. Select 3 credit hours from each unit. Check the course lists for each unit in the SIS degree audit for this program for the most up-to-date course lists.
Business Administration Minor footnotes
Students in this concentration must apply for the Business Administration Minor – contact the Undergraduate Programs Office in the Poole College of Management – 2150 Nelson Hall – 919.515.5565 firstname.lastname@example.org
When pursuing Design Studies with a minor in Business Administration 3 credit hours of EC 205 Fundamentals of Economics will count as the GEP Social Science. 15 credit hours will be taken from the Business Administration Minor curriculum. With a total of 18 credit Hours.
13. EC 205 Fundamentals of Economics required as a BA core with a grade of C- or better, will be used to satisfy both the BA core and the GEP Social Science. EC 205 may be replaced with EC 201 or ARE 201 (with a C- or better) plus EC 202. If this choice is made the additional course will count against a Design Studies elective.
14. ACC 210 Concepts of Financial Reporting and MIE 201 Intro to Business Processes required as BA cores and will count against Design Studies electives.
15. Select 3 courses (9 credit hours) from the BA Advised elective list: General Management Focus choose from BUS 305/MIE 305, BUS 320, BUS 340, BUS 360, BUS 370 or Entrepreneurship Focus choose MIE 310 and 2 courses from MIE 330, 410, 411, 412, 413, 416, 418, 419.
16. Minimum grade of C- required.
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (BA) (Minimum 18 Credit Hours)
Concentration outside the College of Design
Management / Entrepreneurship/Marketing
BA Concentration CORE Requirements (9 hours)
(Some of the BA Concentration Curriculum may count against Design Studies Electives and/or GEPs)
- ACC 210 Concepts of Financial Reporting (3)
- MIE 201 Intro to Business Processes (3)
- EC 205 Fundamentals of Economics (3):
- EC 205 will be used to satisfy both the BA Core and the GEP Social Science requirements.
- EC 205 may be replaced by EC 201 or ARE 201 (with a C- or better) plus
- EC 202. When this choice is made the additional course will count against an additional Advised Design Studies elective.
Business Administration Advised Electives (3 courses to be chosen from the following 2 focus areas for total of 9 hours)
Select any 3 courses in one of the following focus areas:
Requirements – General Management Focus
Choose any three (3) of the following courses:
BUS 305/MIE 305 Legal and Regulatory Environment
MIE 310 Introduction to Entrepreneurship
BUS 320 Financial Management
MIE 330 Human Resource Management (Previously BUS 330)
BUS 340 Information Systems Management
BUS 360 Marketing Methods
BUS 370 Operations Management
Requirements – Entrepreneurship Focus
Select MIE310 Introduction to Entrepreneurship
Plus any two of the following courses:
MIE 410 Business Opportunity Analysis
MIE 411 Managing the Growth Venture
MIE 412 Finance and Accounting for Entrepreneurs
MIE 413 New Venture Planning
MIE 416 The Legal Dynamics of Entrepreneurship
MIE 418 Social Entrepreneurship Practicum
MIE 419 Entrepreneurship Practicum
- Students may NOT take minor coursework on a credit only (satisfactory/unsatisfactory) basis.
- A 2.0 GPA or better is required in minor coursework.
*General Education Program (GEP) requirements and GEP Footnotes
To complete the requirements for graduation and the General Education Program, the following category credit hours and co-requisites must be satisfied. University approved GEP course lists for each of the following units can be found at https://oucc.dasa.ncsu.edu/general-education-program/.
A. Mathematical Sciences (6 credit hours – one course with MA or ST prefix)
The Mathematics Requirement (footnote 9) will satisfy 3 hrs of the GEP Math requirement. Choose from the University approved GEP Mathematical Sciences course list to complete the additional GEP Mathematics requirement.
B. Natural Sciences (7 credit hours – include one laboratory course or course with a lab)
Choose from the University approved GEP Natural Sciences course list .
C. Humanities (6 credit hours selected from two different disciplines/course prefixes)
Choose from the University approved GEP Humanities course list or the following course(s) if completed as part of the Major requirements may fulfill part or all of this requirement. 3 hours are fulfilled by the HI requirement in the Major.Choose 3 credit hours from University approved GEP Humanities Course list in a discipline other than History (HI).
D. Social Sciences (6 credit hours selected from two different disciplines/course prefixes)
Choose from the University approved GEP Social Sciences course list or the following course(s) if completed as part of the Major requirements may fulfill part or all of this requirement: Choose 3 credit hours from the University approved GEP Social Science course list in a discipline other than Economics (EC/ARE)
E. Health & Exercise Studies (2 credit hours – at least one 100-level Health & Exercise Studies Course)
Choose from the University approved GEP Health & Exercise Studies course list.
F. Additional Breadth – (3 credit hours to be selected from the following checked University approved GEP course lists)
X Mathematical Sciences/Natural Sciences/Engineering
G. Interdisciplinary Perspectives (5-6 credit hours)
Satisfied by courses taken as part of the major requirements.
H. Introduction to Writing (4 credit hours satisfied by completing ENG 101 with a C- or better)
The following Co-Requisites must be satisfied to complete the General Education Program requirements
I. U.S. Diversity (USD)
Choose from the University approved GEP U.S. Diversity course list or choose a course identified on the approved GEP course lists as meeting the U.S. Diversity (USD) co-requisite.
J. Global Knowledge (GK)
Choose from the University approved GEP Global Knowledge course list or choose a course identified on the approved GEP course lists as meeting the Global Knowledge (GK) co-requisite.
K. Foreign Language proficiency – Proficiency at the FL_102 level is required for graduation. Design Studies requires 6 credit hours of FL beyond FL 102.
(DS) DESIGN STUDIES ADVISED ELECTIVES: 9 CREDIT HOURS
Each course equals 3 credit hours: Select 3 credit hours from each unit.
|ADN 111 2D Design
|ADN 112 3D Design
|ADN 212 Basic Photography
|ADN 219 Digital Imaging
|ADN 271 Intro to Printing & Surface Design
|ADN 273 Fibers, Materials & Processes
|ADN 292 Special Topics in Design
|ADN 311Basic Visual Laboratories
|ADN 312 Intermediate Photography
|ADN 384 Basic Painting
|ADN 386 Basic Sculpture
|ADN 411 Visual Laboratory II
|ADN 414 Color and Light
|ADN 419 Multimedia & Digital Imaging
|ADN 472 Advanced Surface Design
|ADN 481 Intermediate Drawing
|ADN 484 Intermediate Painting
|ADN 486 Intermediate Sculpture
|ADN 492 Special Topics in Design
|ARC 232 Structure & Materials
|DS 494 Design Internship
|ID 255 Contemporary Mfg. Process I
|ID 256 Contemporary Mfg. Process II
|ID 492 Digital Rendering
|ADN 418 Contemporary Issues in Art & Design
|ADN 571 Fibers & Surface Design Seminar
|DS 244 Material Culture & Industrial Design
|DS 492 Museum Theory & Practice
|GD 200 Graphic Design Theory & Practice
|LAR 221 Intro to Environment & Behavior for Designers
|LAR 511 Community Design Policy
|LAR 579 Human Use of Urban Landscape
|ID 262 Professional Practice in Industrial Design
|ID 445 Human-Centered Design
|ADN 475 Pre-Industrial World Textiles
|ARC 241 Intro. to World Architecture
|ARC 242 History of Western Architecture
|ARC 441 Hist Cont ARC (ARC 241,ARC 242 pre-reqs)
|ARC 442 History of NC Architecture
|D 492A Iconography
|DS 251 History of Aesthetics
|GD 342 History of Graphic Design
|HA 203 History of American Art
|HA 202 History of Art / Renaissance-20th Century
|HA 310 History of Art & Photography
|HI Any History Course from GEP Humanities List
|HI 592 Advanced Museology
|ID 492F / ID 582F History of Industrial Design
|LAR 444 History of Landscape Architecture