Design Studies (12DSM)
The College of Design offers an undergraduate minor in Design Studies, available to university students in majors other than design.
Academic Majors who will benefit from this minor:
Any undergraduate student in the university who is not majoring in a design discipline.
- To provide a general orientation to the practice and theory of design for students whose primary study and employment will be in other disciplines
- To clarify the role design plays in society
- To create informed consumers who are able to make intelligent decisions about communication, products, and environments in work and in their personal lives
- The minor in Design Studies consists of 15 credit hours of study* selected from the following courses.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better in all courses credited to the minor
*College of Design majors will receive enrollment priority in scheduling these classes
Five elective courses
Elective Courses (15 credit hours)
- ARC 232 Structures and Materials
- ARC 241 History of Architecture
- ARC 242 History of Western Architecture
- ADN 281 Basic Drawing
- ADN 414 Color and Light
- D 231 Design History for Engineers and Scientists
- D 492A Iconography**
- GD 200 Introduction to Graphic Design
- GD 342 History of Graphic Design (on-line course)
- ID 255 Materials and Processes I
- LAR 221 Introduction to Environment and Behavior for Designers
- LAR 444 History of Landscape Architecture
NOTE: Other courses offered by the College of Design may be substituted with permission of the Minor Advisor.
Any student seeking this minor should contact the advisor, Hernán Marchant, for a registration form.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students may turn in either their original Design Minor Certification, or complete a new one for signatures. This should be turned in no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Contact PersonHernán Marchant
200 C Brooks Hall
email@example.com PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION