Crop Science (11CSM)
The Department of Crop and Soil Sciences offers a minor in Crop Science to baccalaureate degree students at NC State University, with the exception of those enrolled in the Plant & Soil Science major. This minor provides a basic understanding of the requirements for successful field crop production and the role crop species and management practices play in a broad spectrum of sustainable agricultural enterprises.
A course selection option permits a student to focus on the particular aspect of Crop Science that complements the student’s major and career plans. The minor in Crop Science is designed to:
- Provide a strong background in Crop Science to the variety of disciplines which interact in some way with field crop production;
- Clarify the role crop species and rotational sequences play in agricultural enterprises both in the United States and globally to increase our quality of life; and
- Identify strategies either in use or being researched to increase the compatibility of crop species with their environment to achieve yield stability, suitable quality of product, and sustainability of the production enterprise.
A total of 16 hours of coursework is required, and students must receive a minimum grade of ‘C’ in each course selected. A course selection option permits a student to focus on the particular aspect of Crop Science, which most fully complements the student’s interests or career goals.
Required Courses (4 hours)
- CS 213 Crop Science (3cr)
- CS 214 Crop Science Laboratory (1cr)
Elective Courses (Minimum of 12 credit hours; at least 6 credit hours must be at the 300 or 400 level)
- CS 200 Introduction to Turf Management (4cr)
- CS 211 Plant Genetics* (3cr)
- CS 216 Oil Seed Crop Production (3 cr)
- CS 218 Cereal Grain Crop Production (2 cr)
- CS 224 Seeds, Biotechnology, & Societies (3 cr)
- CS 230 Introduction to Agroecology (3cr)
- CS 312 Grassland Management for Natural Resources Conservation (3cr)
- CS 411 Environmental Aspects of Crop Production (3cr)
- CS 413 Plant Breeding (2cr)
- CS 414 Weed Science (4cr)
- CS 415 Integrated Pest Management (3cr)
- CS 424 Seed Physiology (3cr)
- CS 430 Advanced Agroecology (4cr)
- CS 440 Geographic Information Systems for Production Agriculture (3cr)
- CS 495 (var cr)
*If you have successfully completed ANS (HS) 215 or GN 311 prior to enrolling in the Crop Science Minor, you may not receive credit for CS 211 towards the Crop Science Minor. You must select other courses from the elective list.
Admission to the minor requires a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better. Students should contact the Undergraduate Programs Office to inquire about adding the minor no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State
The minor should be declared as soon as the student makes the decision to pursue a minor. Minor coursework must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork to declare the minor should be completed no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should see The Undergraduate Programs Office for certification of the minor.
Undergraduate Programs Office
Crop & Soil Sciences Department
2234 Williams Hall
Campus Box 7620
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS code: 11CSM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION