The Department of Computer Science offers a Minor in Computer Programming to undergraduate majors in any field except Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Computer Engineering. The objectives of this minor are to: 1) encourage students to combine computing with their own disciplines, 2) promote quality in programming techniques, and 3) give graduating seniors with a minor in computer programming an added advantage in the job market.
Completion of 22 credit hours.
All courses in the minor must be completed with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
Corequisites for CSC 116 (may be taken prior to or in the same semester as CSC 116):
- E 115 (Intro. to Computing Environments) or COS 100 (Science of Change) (1 cr)
- MA 121 Intro. to Calculus (or any college calculus course) (3-4 cr)
- CSC 116 Introduction to Computing – Java (3 cr)
- CSC 216 Programming Concepts – Java (4 cr)
- CSC 226 Discrete Mathematics for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
- CSC 230 C and Software Tools (3 cr)
- CSC 236 Computer Organization and Assembly Language for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
- CSC 246 Concepts and Facilities of Operating Systems for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
- CSC 316 Data Structures for Computer Scientists (3 cr)
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Undergraduates will be admitted to the Minor in Computer Programming only after they have completed CSC 116 with a grade of C or higher, and have an overall GPA of at least 2.25. Students should submit the application for the Minor in Computer Programming to the CSC Coordinator for Academic Minor, as listed below, who will be the minor advisor. This can be done via e-mail or in person. Students must have a posted grade in order to submit an application.
The contact person listed below will certify the minor prior to graduation. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
Dr. Barbara Jasmine Adams
1204 Engineering Bldg II (EB II)
SIS Code: 14CPM