Coaching Education (24CAM)
The Department of Health and Exercise Studies offers a 17 hour minor in Coaching Education designed to prepare students to assume coaching responsibilities with a sound theoretical and practical background. The minor provides students with a foundation of essential coaching skills; (a) the basic knowledge, understanding, and application of coaching philosophy, sport psychology, and effective teaching techniques; (b) the basic principles of human anatomy and physiology, kinesiology, and exercise science and the practical application to coaching; (c) injury prevention, risk management, and the treatment of sport-related injuries; (d) theories and techniques necessary to plan, organize, and implement sport programs; (e) and a demonstration of motor skills and strategies involved in coaching specific sports.
The minor will require a minimum of 9 hours plus the practicum experience taken at North Carolina State University.
- Completion of 17 credit hours.
- A grade of “C-” or better required in each course.
- There are 5 required courses, totaling 13 semester hours.
- The remaining 4 hours consist of 2 elective courses selected from a list of 10 sport specific offerings.
- A minimum 15 hours of course work should be successfully completed in this minor PRIOR TO ENROLLMENT in HESM 301 Coaching Practicum. (Permission of instructor is a prerequisite to HESM 301.)
- A maximum of TWO (2) courses may be used (double-counted) towards both departmental major requirements and minor requirements.
Required Courses (13 credit hours)
- HESM 301 Coaching Practicum (1 cr)
- HESM 381 Athletic Training (3 cr)
- HESM 476 Motor Learning (3 cr)
- HESM 477 Coaching Concepts (3 cr)
- HESM 478 Exercise Physiology and Sports Science (3 cr)
Elective Courses (4 credit hours)
Select 2 courses from the following list:
- HESM 201 Coaching Baseball/Softball (2 cr)
- HESM 202 Coaching Basketball (2 cr)
- HESM 203 Coaching Football (2 cr)
- HESM 204 Coaching Golf (2 cr)
- HESM 205 Coaching Soccer (2 cr)
- HESM 206 Coaching Swimming/Diving (2 cr)
- HESM 207 Coaching Tennis (2 cr)
- HESM 208 Coaching Track (2 cr)
- HESM 209 Coaching Volleyball (2 cr)
- HESM 211 Coaching Strength Training and Conditioning (2 cr)
Admissions and Certification of Minor
Any student seeking a minor must consult with David Conner on a plan of work and must file a copy of this plan with the major advisor as soon as the minor is declared — at latest , by the end of the regular registration period one semester prior to the semester of graduation. Plans of work filed late may result in recognition of the minor NOT appearing on student’s final transcript.
2046 Carmichael Gymnasium
Effective Date: 07/2015
SIS Code: 24CAM