Animal Science (11ANM)
The Department of Animal Science offers an undergraduate minor in Animal Science to all interested baccalaureate students. This minor is appropriate for (but not limited to) students majoring in Agricultural Business Management, Agricultural Education, Agricultural Science, Agronomy, Food Science, Nutrition Science, Poultry Science, and Zoology. Students completing a minor in Animal Science will become familiar with animal production and with its related industries.
- Minimum of 15 credit hours is required.
- A grade of ‘C-‘ or higher in each course.
- The program is flexible in order for students to be able to emphasize the discipline or species of their interest.
Required Courses (6 credits)
- ANS 150 Introduction to Animal Science (3 cr)
- ANS 230 Nutrition of Domestic Animals (3 cr) OR ANS 225 Principles of Animal Nutrition (3 cr)
Elective Courses (9 credits)
- ANS 105** Introduction to Companion Animals (3 cr) OR ANS 110** Introduction to Equine Science (3 cr)
- ANS 205 Physiology of Domestic Animals (3 cr)
- ANS/AEE/PB 208 Agricultural Biotechnology: Issues and Implications (3 cr)
- ANS (HS) 215 Agricultural Genetics (3 cr)
- ANS 220 Reproductive Physiology (3 cr)ANS 240 Livestock Merchandising (2 cr)
- ANS 261 Swine Health and Biosecurity (1 cr)*
- ANS 262 Swine Breeding and Gestation Management (1 cr)*
- ANS 263 Farrowing Management (1 cr)*
- ANS 264 Swine Nursery and Finishing Management (1 cr)*
- ANS 266 Swine Environment Management (1 cr)*
- ANS 267 Swine Manure and Nutrient Management (1 cr)*
- ANS 268 Employee Management for the Swine Industry (1 cr)*
- ANS 270 Pork Export Markets (1 cr)*
- ANS 281 Professional Development of Pre-Veterinary Track Students (1 cr)
- ANS 292 Australian Animal Agriculture (3 cr)
- ANS 303 Principles of Equine Evaluation (2 cr)
- ANS 304 Dairy Cattle Evaluation (2 cr)
- ANS 309 Livestock Evaluation (3 cr)
- ANS(FS,PO) 322 Muscle Foods and Eggs (3 cr)
- ANS(FS) 324 Milk and Dairy Products (2 cr)
- ANS 330 Laboratory Animal Science (3 cr)
- ANS 400 Companion Animal Management (3 cr)
- ANS 402 Beef Cattle Management (2 cr)
- ANS 403 Swine Management (3 cr)
- ANS 404 Dairy Cattle Management (2 cr)
- ANS 408 Small Ruminant Management (3 cr)
- ANS 410 Equine Breeding Farm Management (3 cr)
- ANS 411 Management of Growing and Performance Horses (3 cr)
- ANS(NTR,PO) 415 Comparative Nutrition (3 cr)
- ANS(NTR,PO) 425 Feed Mill Management (3 cr)
- ANS 440 Animal Genetic Improvement (3 cr)
- ANS 452 Comparative Reproductive Physiology and Biotechnology (3 cr)
- ANS 453 Physiology and Genetics of Growth and Development (3 cr)
*AgIdea course, offered online with additional tuition
**Credit is allowed for either ANS 105 or ANS 110, but not both.
Students who plan to minor in Animal Science should contact Dr. Melissa Merrill for consultation and approval. Dr. Merrill can be reached at: 919.515.3028, Melissa_Merrill@ncsu.edu or in 342 Riddick Hall.
Dr. Melissa Merrill will certify the completion of the student’s minor program. Certification must be submitted no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program.
Dr. Melissa Merrill
342 Riddick Hall
SIS Code: 11ANM