The Undergraduate Certificate in Biomanufacturing (“BTEC credential”) is designed for both NC State students and for persons from outside the University who wish to gain hands-on experience with, and understanding of, the technology and operational protocols of large-scale cGMP biomanufacturing operations. This knowledge base will prepare Certificate recipients to quickly contribute to a cGMP biomanufacturing operation in significant ways and should reduce the time needed for on-the-job training in those operations. The Certificate educational focus includes gene expression technologies, bioreactors, downstream separation and purification processes, and aseptic processing operations.
Pa Nhia Moore
195 BTEC Bldg.
Raleigh, NC 27695-7928
Requirements for the Undergraduate Certificate in Biomanufacturing include a minimum of 12 credit hours as specified below. All courses must be completed with a grade of ‘C-‘ or better.
Prerequisites: All students must complete both CH 101 and BIO 183, or have departmental approval of like courses completed. The courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better.
Introductory Seminar Pertaining to Biomanufacturing: (1 credit)
- BEC 220 Introduction to Drug Development and Careers in Biomanufacturing (1 hr)
Base Biomanufacturing Sequence: (2 credits)
All students must complete:
- BEC (CHE) 463 Fermentation of Recombinant Microorganisms (2 hrs) OR
- BEC 330 Principles and Applications of Bioseparations (2 hrs)
Elective Courses: (choose at least 9 credits from the list below)
- BAE 425 Industrial Microbiology and Bioprocessing (3 hrs)
- BBS (FS) 426 Upstream Biomanufacturing Laboratory (2 hrs)
- BCH 351 General Biochemistry or BCH 451 Principles of Biochemistry (4 hrs)
- BEC 436 Introduction to Downstream Process Development (2 hrs)
- BEC 442 Insect Cells Protein Expression (2 hrs)
- BEC (CHE) 462 Fundamentals of Bio-Nanotechnology (3 hrs)
- BEC (CHE) 463 Fermentation of Recombinant Microorganisms (2 hrs)
- BEC 475 Global Regulatory Affairs for Medical Products (3 hrs)
- BEC 480 cGMP Fermentation Operations (2 hrs)
- BEC 485 cGMP Downstream Operations (2 hrs)
- BEC (CHE) 488 Animal Cell Culture Engineering (2 hrs)
- BEC 497 Biomanufacturing Research Projects (2 credit maximum)
- BIT 410 Manipulation of Recombinant DNA (4 hrs)
- BIT 466 Animal Cell Culture Techniques (2 hrs)
- GN 311 (prev. GN 411) Principles of Genetics (4 hrs)
- BME (BEC) 483 Tissue Engineering Technologies (2 hrs)
Total Credit Hours Required: 12
Students enrolled at North Carolina State University who are in good academic standing are eligible for admission to this University Certificate program. In addition, non-degree students with evidence of having completed introductory courses in both biology and organic chemistry, or who have consent of the Certificate Program administrator may enroll in the program. Students who complete the undergraduate Minor in Biomanufacturing or the Post Baccalaureate Certificate in Biomanufacturing are not eligible for the Undergraduate Certificate in Biomanufacturing.
Plan of Study
Contact the Program Coordinator.
Contact the Program Coordinator.
Term Effective: 8/2012
Plan Code: 14BTECCTU, 32BTECCTU
CIP Code: 26.1201
Description: Undergraduate Certificate in Biomanufacturing
Offered: On-campus format