Art and Design (12DNM)
There is an essential need for students in a research and technically based university to engage in coursework that fosters creative thinking and a hands-on approach to problem solving. The Art and Design Program offers an undergraduate minor in Art and Design disciplines in which the design methodology is experienced in this empirical manner.
Academic Majors who will benefit from this minor:
Any curious undergraduate student in the university who is not majoring in design and who seeks alternative methods of experiencing the environment in which we live.
- To discover basic design principles through hands-on activities
- To apply design process and theory to solve problems creatively and efficiently
- To increase awareness of one’s self and environment
- To foster an appreciation and understanding of the disciplines of art and design
Minor in Art and Design consists of 15 credit hours of study and has the following requirements:
- A GPA of 2.75 or above
- Successful completion of 2 prerequisite courses BEFORE applying for entrance into the Minor:
ADN 111 – Two Dimensional Design and ADN 112- Three Dimensional Design
(These two courses provide an essential foundation in design)
- Faculty review of the student’s work upon completion of the above classes.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better in all courses credited to the minor
The course selection will be determined with the guidance of the student’s Minor advisor and tailored to the needs, interests and goals of the student.
- ADN 111 and ADN 112 (6 credit hours) as mentioned above.
- After the completion of ADN 111 and ADN 112, 9 hours of recommended courses selected from the courses listed below:
- 6 hours must be above the 100 level
- Another 3 hours must be above the 300 level
- ADN 212 Basic Photography
- ADN 219 Digital Imaging
- ADN 272 Intro to Surface Design and Screen Printing
- ADN 273 Fibers Materials and Processes
- ADN 281 Basic Drawing
- ADN 292 Special Topics in Design
- ADN 311 Basic Visual Laboratories
- ADN 384 Basic Painting
- ADN 386 Basic Sculpture
- ADN 312 Intermediate Photography
- ADN 411 Advanced Visual Laboratories
- ADN 413 Synthetic Drawing
- ADN 414 Color and Light
- ADN 419 Multimedia and Digital Imaging
- ADN 454 Geometry for Designers
- ADN 455 Building Workshop
- ADN 472 Advanced Surface Design
- ADN 481 Intermediate Drawing
- ADN 484 Intermediate Painting
- ADN 486 Intermediate Sculpture
- ADN 487 Sculpture-Life Modeling
- ADN 491 Special Seminar in Design
- ADN 492 Special Topics in Design
- ADN 495 Independent Study in Design
Interested students seeking this Minor should contact Chandra Cox, 215B Brooks Hall, for an application form and the assignment of a Minor Advisor.
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork for certification can be found in 215 Brooks Hall and should be completed no later than during the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State.
215B Brooks Hall, Box 7701
SIS Code: 12DNM