The Department of Art + Design believes that there is an essential need for students in the broader university to engage in coursework that fosters creative thinking, problem-solving, and making. To meet this need, the department offers an undergraduate minor in Art + Design, available to university students in majors offered outside of the College of Design. The minor in Art + Design consists of 15 total credit hours of study, of which 6 hours must be satisfied at the basic course level. The remaining 9 hours of courses may be selected from the elective course list provided below. A grade of “B” or better will be required for credit in all courses in the minor. Although all efforts are made to accommodate minors, it is important for potential students to know and understand that access to Art + Design courses are based on a hierarchy where priority access goes to Art + Design majors.
- To discover basic art + design principles through hands-on activities
- To apply art + design process and theory to solve problems creatively and efficiently
- To increase awareness of one’s self and environment
- To foster an appreciation and understanding of the disciplines of art and design
Minor in Art + Design consists of 15 credit hours of study of the approved courses and has the following requirements:
- Completion of a minimum of 15 credit hours for Art + Design minor designated courses.
- A university grade of 2.0 or above.
- A grade of ‘B’ or better in all courses required and credited to the minor
- No course used for the minor can be taken for credit only (S/U)
- Only courses offered from the department of Art + Design will count toward the minor degree.
Admissions into this minor program requires that the student be in good academic standing at the university with a minimum overall GPA of at least 2.0. Students must also complete all Art + Design minor courses with a grade of ‘B’ or better. To officially add or drop the Art + Design Minor, students must complete the “Declare Minor Form” form that is available online here. After completing the “Declare Minor Form”, students should bring it to the College of Design Department Heads Suite that is located in Brooks Hall 215.
Required Courses (6 credit hours – 2 courses)
The required courses listed below must be taken before the students can enroll in other elective courses for the minor. The student must receive a grade of ‘B’ or better in each required course.
- ADN 111 – Two-Dimensional Design
- ADN 112 – Three-Dimensional Design
Elective Courses (9 credit hours – 3 courses)
The completion of the minor degree requires successful completion of three of the electives listed below. Electives are not offered every semester. It is the student’s responsibility to plan their course schedule accordingly.
- ADN 212 Photography I
- ADN 219 Digital Imaging
- ADN 226 Sequential Imaging
- ADN 281 Drawing I
- ADN 319 Animation I
- ADN 414 Color and Light
- ADN 415 Visualizing Narrative
- ADN 496 The Business of Art and Design
- ADN 273 Fibers Materials and Processes
- ADN 386 Basic Sculpture
The minor must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Students must contact the Art + Design minor advisor to check that all minor degree requirements have been met. If they have met, the student can apply for their minor degree in the MyPack online portal at the same time that they apply for graduation their final semester at NC State.
SIS Code: 12DNM