The minor in Applied Sociology is aimed at providing a student with the basic conceptual framework of sociology and the information necessary for applying this approach to the resolution of problems in work and organizational environments.
- Completion of 15 credit hours of coursework consisting of required and elective courses.
- A grade of ‘C’ or better is required for all courses used to fulfill the minor requirements.
- Students completing a major in Criminology may not also complete a minor in Applied Sociology.
Required Courses (9 credit hours)
Choose 1 of the following courses:
- SOC 205 Jobs and Work (3 cr)
- SOC 241 Sociology of Agriculture and Rural Society (3 cr)
- SOC 261 Technology in Society and Culture (3 cr)
Choose 2 of the following courses:
- SOC 311* Community Relationships (3 cr)
- SOC 342* International Development (3 cr)
- SOC 351* Population and Planning (3 cr)
Elective Courses (6 hours minimum)
- SOC 301* Human Behavior
- SOC 300* Social Research Methods (4 cr)
- SOC 400* Theories of Social Structure
- SOC 401* Theories of Social Interaction
- SOC 410** Sociology of Organizations
- SOC 414** Social Class
* Prerequisite: three credits in SOC, 200 level
** Prerequisite: three credits in SOC, 200 level; SOC 300 or equivalent
To be admitted to the program, a student must have a GPA of at least 2.0. Students may declare their intention to complete the minor by submitting the Declare a Minor form to the minor advisor. Declaring a minor early will help ensure you have access to courses that may restrict seats to departmental majors and minors. Should students wish to transfer a course from another institution toward the minor, they should consult Erin Seiling, advisor for the minor.
The minor should be declared as soon as the student makes the decision to pursue a minor. Minor coursework must be completed no later than the semester in which the student expects to graduate from his or her degree program. Paperwork to declare the minor can be found outside room 352 in the 1911 Building and should be completed no later than the registration period for the student’s final semester at NC State. Students should see the person listed below for certification of the minor.
Contact PersonErin Seiling
334B 1911 Building
firstname.lastname@example.org SIS Code: 11SAM PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION